Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Are Packard Transmissions Supposed To Leak Oil???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I had the transmission professionally rebuilt by a guy who REALLY knows what he is doing. He used a complete transmission rebuild kit with new gaskets and seals.

I filled the transmission to capacity first and then the R9 overdrive unit. I heard that the transmission and the overdrive do not share oil however someone said that they do. I can tell that the R9 fill port is higher up on than the transmission fill port so my guess is that they are separate.

Anyhoo...as you can tell from the attached photo that the transmission is leaking from the shifter input shaft. This transmission has zero miles on it....it was only ran while on the lift.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or can give some advice.

I have to R&R the transmission any why because I used the wrong bolts to attach the flywheel so I can inspect the top of the diecast shifter cover case.

Is there a breather up there that can be leaking? It does look like the leak is coming from the shifter input shaft.

THANKS in advance!!!

Attach file:

jpg  (24.65 KB)
84982_55d0e543a3ef9.jpg 252X448 px

Posted on: 2015/8/16 14:33
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Are Packard Transmissions Supposed To Leak Oil???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The breather function is provided by one of the cover bolts being drilled or hollow down its length and protruding into the case. There should be a loose fitting corrugated looking sheetmetal cap crimped over that bolt. If the lube level is too high it is conceivable heat could have forced it out the bolt. If the breather bolt was replaced by a regular bolt pressure could be forcing lube out a seal.

Posted on: 2015/8/16 15:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
When you fill the OD after the transmission you need to leave the filler plug out of the transmission while filling to prevent overfill of the transmission.

Posted on: 2015/8/16 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Also the transmission and OD do share the same oil.

Posted on: 2015/8/16 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The answer to your question is, uh, no. They are not supposed to leak. Thanks for asking. I would guess that shifter seal was not replaced or got cut upon installation. What oil did you fill the trans with?

Posted on: 2015/8/17 5:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The shaft connected to the shifter arm is in the cover which is above the top edge of the transmission. The fluid level of the trans is at the lower level of the filler plug, well below the top edge of the trans. First I would suggest you remove the filler plug and let any excess fluid drain then see if it continues to leak.

Thanks
James
Kanter Auto

Posted on: 2015/8/17 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Before checking levels in both the transmission and the OD you should run the motor a few minutes to allow any oil that may have drained down from the OD into the transmission to be replenished to the proper level in the OD.
At that point you can pull plug on trans to see if it is too high and check OD level at OD fill plug.
There are times after the car sits for a while that the oil level could drop some in the OD and "overfill" the transmission. This is self corrected after the motor runs.
If you fill the trans first and put the plug back in before filling OD you could end up overfilling trans.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
JT120 Are you sure? I thought that those were separate units. Both with their own fill and drain plugs.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/8/18 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Wes, yes they are separate units with there own fill and drain plugs but there are oil passages between the two. Levels in both units should always be checked after running motor.
It's discribed in a service letter as I remember.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks! Good to know!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/8/19 9:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved