Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacing rear door glass in a 1941 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Has anyone replaced a rear door glass on a 1941 Packard Sedan ? I have not studied it but before I tear into it I thought I would consult with other Packard people that might have any tips or suggestions. Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/8/22 20:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing rear door glass in a 1941 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
What model

Posted on: 2015/8/25 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
a 160 4 door touring sedan, thanks for your reply

Posted on: 2015/8/25 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Once you get the glass out you can take it to a glass shop and they can cut one for you using the old one as a pattern. That is if the glass is still in one piece. You will want to ask for clear laminated glass. All the new window glass is tempered and I believe a bit thinner. They will probably install the glass in the bracket for you too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/25 13:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It's been so long I wasn't going to say anything, but since a few days have past with no answer I'll give you my best recollections.

Remove the window trim, remove the door handle and window crank (they are held on with pins that are hidden via a spring behind the eschutcheons), remove the door panel which is held on with spring clips (you will need some good non marring trim tools which you can get from Harbor freight and modify to avoid damaging the cheap cardboard panel). Another option is the Lisle 35400 Door Upholstery Remover. The KD 2822 Remover Trim Pad Tool is designed specifically for those cheap cardboard panels. I bought mine at NAPA Auto Supply.

From there you move the channel so that the window will crank above the door and then can be released from the track. If there is insufficient clearance then the chrome trim will need to be removed as well, but I don't think that is necessary.

As I said it's been a while. The last one of those I converted to electric windows (and they are still working). Be mindful too there may be a screw or two added over the years to keep the panel on the door.

Posted on: 2015/8/25 15:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved