Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Voltage Regulator Issues???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

Yesterday my dad reported that the charging system on his Series 22nd was showing a discharge when he drove it home.

He said that he just thought that the generator was not charging until he got back home and turned off the ignition key he noticed that the ammeter showed "full pegged discharge". He disconnected the positive ground cable to the battery and he heard the voltage regulator click. He connected the battery cable again and the ammeter needle was centered. He started the engine and the ammeter showed a charging as usual.

Does this sound like a common problem? I checked all of the wire connections and they all look fine.

The voltage regulator obviously had been replaced at one (or more) time. A few months back I believe (cant remember for sure) I burnished the contacts while I had the engine out and it has been working fine until yesterday.

The voltage regulator installed in his car has four wires however it does not say AC Delco or Autolite.

Any tips/suggestions while I dive into the service manual?

THANKS (as always)!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/9/27 18:33
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Voltage Regulator Issues???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
My dad has the paper copy of the Service Manual at his house. I could not find an electronic version of the electrical section that describes the operation of the voltage regulator. Does anyone have a copy or can direct me to the appropriate page?

Here is a picture of the voltage regulator on his car. Looking at the wire diagram it looks to be a Autolite unit.

I dont want to just replace parts unless I know for sure what the problem was...Is there a test procedure for the voltage regulator?

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (20.35 KB)
84982_56087f1bcf0ad.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/9/27 18:43
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was almost nothing covered electrically in the 46-50 manual but there is a write up in the electrical section VIII in the 51-4 service manual and almost the same info but with better photos and illustrations in section 8 of the 55-6 manual. Both are available as individual section downloads from the Service Manual category in the literature section.

There is also an Autolite training manual on their generators and regulatorshttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/AutoliteGenerators.pdf which goes into a bit more basic detail. It would serve as a primer for how a Delco system would operate too but there is a bit of mechanical difference in how things are situated and adjusted Delco vs Autolite.

Posted on: 2015/9/27 18:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Howard...somehow I knew you would be the man to ask!!!

I noticed the price of the Autolite manual was 25 cents...what is that in today's money???

Priceless!!!!

Posted on: 2015/9/27 19:02
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sounds almost like the points are sticking on the cut out portion of the regulator..... John

Posted on: 2015/9/27 21:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agree with ptv, burnish (don't file) the cutout point set. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you do it.

Posted on: 2015/9/27 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Will give that a go and report back.

THANKS!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/9/28 18:01
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If most likely stuck VR doesn't solve it;
wiring looks a bit toasted, may need to check for insulation losses. Short is best way I know to pull full amps.
If the gen is gone(brushes) that's another one to check. When it cuts to gen, it may not be putting out and draws battery further. When gen is off, it's OK. Eventually the battery dies. Lights will be dim.
I like a installed volt meter in my generator cars so you can better determine what's going on.
It appears the "ammeter" is functioning but there's some other that need checked as well to rule out its not a gauge issue.

Posted on: 2015/9/29 16:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved