Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 Overdrive Problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Mabry
See User information
I'm still having a problem with my R9 overdrive. The car is a 1939 120 but the o/d is out of a 1940 120. I swapped it in years ago and it work fine. Here's what it's doing now: I accelerate to speed, the relay clunks and the light comes on, I release the pedal to allow the shift and it goes into neutral. It should go into o/d but instead it just revs with no drive period. I'm 95% sure the solenoid is working as I checked it last year by grounding the governor with the key on and the relay clunked and with the solenoid removed it extended.

I have pulled the transmission and disassembled it down to the o/d dog clutch. Everything looks ok except maybe the overrunning clutch. There is a bit of unevenness on the inside of the output shaft where the rollers ride but I don't think that is the problem. My guess is the ramps where the rollers ride are worn and causing the problem. I can put the output shaft on and rotate it in one direction and it locks in the other direction which tells me its working but then again I'm not trying to drive a 4000 pound car.

Has anyone run into the problem...free wheeling when o/d is actuated and if so what was the fix??

Posted on: 2016/1/3 9:59
Eight in a row, the only way to go.
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 Overdrive Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry, can't help with the problem but wouldn't an OD from a 1940 be an R-6, not an R-9?

Posted on: 2016/1/3 11:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Mabry
See User information
Pretty sure it's an R9

Posted on: 2016/1/3 11:40
Eight in a row, the only way to go.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The R6 was 1939 only, changed to R9 for 1940

Posted on: 2016/1/3 12:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BDeB, thanks for the clarification.

Posted on: 2016/1/3 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
A common problem is that the contact points in the solenoid need cleaning.
On this page is a photo from manual. But there's lots more info in this thread.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10074&viewmode=compact&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

Posted on: 2016/1/3 15:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved