Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Accident in Europe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unfortunate incident, from the German website Blick and comes my way via G?nther Hoyt. A bit hard to tell from the photo but the other vehicle may have gotten the worst of it. One just hopes no serious personal injuries. A good reminder not to chintz on insurance and especially with cars of this vintage to be ever mindful of the limitations of the vehicle in terms of steering, braking, quick maneuvering, etc.

http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/rad-teile-nahmen-reissaus-oldtimer-baut-frontalcrash-id4891748.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=blick

Attach file:

jpg  (165.80 KB)
177_5706927839795.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/4/7 12:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Accident in Europe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Packard vs. Kia

In a crash yesterday afternoon against 15:20 a vintage car crashed with an oncoming car head-on. Three people suffered minor injuries. The damage is estimated at about 150,000 francs.
But the symbolic value of the historic vehicle can not be expressed in numbers: The car is old, according to police more than 80 years. The vintage is difficult tattered, the police assured him. The cantonal police Aargau suspected that the car lost a part of the wheel before the accident.
The two vehicles crashed into each other in M?hlau. The Lucerne (78) at the wheel of the Packard Oldtimers came from Sins and drove on the Luzernerstrasse direction M?hlau. About 100 meters before the entrance to the car front crashed into an oncoming Kia, driven by a Swiss (71) from the region.
In addition to cantonal and regional police marched out two ambulances and the fire brigade M?hlau. The injured had to check into the hospital.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Danke sch?n, Herr Flack. Kannst du Deutsch sprechen or did you use translation software? If in fact a wheel failure add metal fatique to the list of things to worry about, I had a wire spoke wheel fail years back on my '34 but fortunately pulled over to the side of the road when I felt a bit of "wobble" and was completely stopped and on the shoulder by the time the wheel collapsed. Harder to visualize a wheel failure with a disteel wheel unless the locking ring failed (it does happen!, usually attributed to hydrogen embrittlement from chrome plating).

Posted on: 2016/4/7 12:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
It would appear that there are two locking rings lying on the grass. That the rear wheel is missing one.

Posted on: 2016/4/7 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It could have been a lot worse!

Attach file:

jpg  (61.14 KB)
177_5707a9e556051.jpg 993X820 px

Posted on: 2016/4/8 7:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Looks like that car rolled, at least that one is obvious from the picture.

I looked at a prewar packard last summer that was in an auction. When I went through all the documentation on site 2 days before the auction I discovered that the car rolled back in the 50's. Upon closer inspection I decided that the car had to be really cheap for me to bid on it. Needless to say the car went for almost double what I wanted to spend. In the pictures of the auction company you couldn't see the structural damage but upon close inspection it was obvious. The buyer probably wasn't aware of it cause 8 months later the car was offered again for auction on the other side of the country, and sold for the same amount again.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 8:14
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved