Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Muriatic Acid to clean engine cooling system
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Hello Folks,
My 356 Engine on my 1940 180 is running hot and without removing the engine out of the car I was planning on removing the Starter, Water pump, oil filter canister, maybe the distributor to help in removing the freeze plugs. The Radiator and water pump have been rebuilt. Then I will flush it with water and then add Diluted Muriatic Acid, followed with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid, Then re-flush the system with lots of water to clean out the system.
After all done, put back together to see how the engine performs temperature wise.
I have never done this and was wondering if anyone out there has. Apparently Muriatic Acid is nasty stuff.

Thank you Roberto

Posted on: 2016/7/16 14:07
cityvintage@hotmail.com
Purveyors of men's vintage clothing 1900-1960's
 Top  Print   

Re: Muriatic Acid to clean engine cooling system
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
It will not be feasible to use muriatic acid after you remove the freeze/core plugs and other items you mention. The acid/water you pour in the thermostat outlet will run out the dist tube and freeze plug openings instantly.
If it is to have any effect it must sit a while.

After the freeze plugs are removed the water jacket goes down over 1 inch. Scrape vigorously with a screwdriver and a coathanger, I found it full of sediment even after using a presssurewasher

I'm not a chemist but in reviewing the internet there are pros and cons. Most importantly it must be in a well ventilated area and goggles/gloves/ appropriate mask must be used

Posted on: 2016/7/16 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I'm not a straight 8 Packard guy, but wouldn't it be a good idea to remove the water pump and the brass water distribution tube and flush as well?

Posted on: 2016/7/16 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Im not 100% sure but I don't think the 356 has a water distribution tube.

Posted on: 2016/7/16 16:11
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 356 uses the same water dist tube that the other eights made thru 54 used. Someone mentioned in another post that some of the senior pre 1940 eights did not have one.

O_D has advised using oxalic acid for cleaning many timeshttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=162991#forumpost162991 IIRC in some of the discussions believe it was mentioned that was Packard approved and the same item as one of their radiator treatment products. I would think might be a gentler and safer treatment than muriatic acid.

Posted on: 2016/7/16 16:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Someone mentioned in another post that some of the senior pre 1940 eights did not have one...

Andy (AJS) mentioned it -> here.

Posted on: 2016/7/16 19:56
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
All sixes 37-50 used a brass water dist tube.

All 120's 35-39 used one

All straight 8's 40-54 used one

In summary, all monobloc sixes and 8's 35-54 used one, no earlier or later cars did

Posted on: 2016/7/16 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
So called muriatic is HCL or hydrochloric. A better choice is H2SO4 sulfuric used heated. However, I would get the distribution tube out first and flush the block with water because acid will accumulate in any residue and stay there. Cleaning the cylinder head with the acid will probably have a greater impact then the block and if you make a mistake the only loss is a cylinder head.

Posted on: 2016/7/17 5:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Afternoon...When we went through all of the issues regarding overheating, with our 1949 Deluxe, 'Miss Prudence',we also found that the distributor condition, bearings, advance springs and vacuum advance play a big part in a happy Packard engine. Due to wear, and modern fuel, your timing might well need to be advanced a bit from stock. If you search, you can find much discussion of this subject. Easy does it. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/7/17 14:14
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Roberto Isola
See User information
Gentlemen,
I appreciate all the good information and its good to know I have other options. I will continue to investigate this subject to see what I will decide. I am leaning towards the safer of the solutions at the moment.
Thank you

Posted on: 2016/7/17 19:33
cityvintage@hotmail.com
Purveyors of men's vintage clothing 1900-1960's
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved