Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 212

BigKev, Packard Don, BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Oil Filtration System
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I am preparing to fire up my rebuilt engine and wanted to check to make sure everything internal was looking like it should. The material in the internal oil filter basket is no longer there. Does anyone know where I can obtain the material that goes in this oil filter basket? I bought the car after the engine had been rebuilt and since I could not get to the engine for quite a while, I added oil to the case in a sufficient quantity to keep the piston bearings lubricated. That raised the level to the oil filter basket. My thinking is that with the amount of oil in the pan, this material finally dissolved.
My research on Google and other sites have returned no information on this type of filtration system.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/10/6 11:47
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Oil Filtration System
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone know where I can obtain the material that goes in this oil filter basket

Depends on whether your "basket" (filter housing) is the proper Packard unit or one of many aftermarket types.

Posted on: 2017/10/6 13:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
If it is the standard one that is normally on the 37 120 then it is WIX 51006. It is at oriellys

Posted on: 2017/10/6 20:05
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks to both of you. I do appreciate the information. I believe that the filter "basket" is the original due to the description that was given to me yesterday by someone who does rebuild these engines. I will also check at O'Reilly's and take a look at the WIX51006 to see if it might fit. Again, thanks for the information. I learn something new each time.

Posted on: 2017/10/7 8:10
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Where did the filter material go? If it made its way into the oiling system you have got a BIG problem. There have been stories of old oil filter material coming apart and getting into the oiling system and ruining the engine in short order after start-up. JWL

Posted on: 2017/10/7 10:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved