Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

Ozstatman, Joe Santana, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Leaking Head Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
We have a leaking head gasket on our 1938 Packard Eight (120 series but not called that in '38). Has anyone had any luck with an after-market solution to stop the leak? I know what the answer probably is, but just asking. Everyone always prays for a quick fix! The leak is located at the #7 cylinder.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 8:41
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Leaking Head Gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it's leaking into the combustion chamber no magic chemical fix added to the coolant can withstand the combustion forces. If it's just leaking coolant externally you might try one or more of the GM stopleak tablets; in any case such a "fix" is likely to be temporary.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Try a retorque ?

Posted on: 2017/12/22 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
There are several two part chemicals that can be added to the radiator to fix this. I was apprehensive, but when my daughter blew the head gasket in her late model Pontiac GP, I had little choice except to dole out $2200, per GMC. It worked as advertised and keep in mind, this had a lot higher compression ratio than our Packard's do. The car had about 86,000 on it when the head gasket blew and she ended up putting over 140,000 miles on theit before the car retired for other reasons

Posted on: 2017/12/29 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
jwblazek, I am confused "$2200, per GMC." Is there a decimal point missing? For $2200 it would have been cheaper to replace the gasket. What is GMC?
I cannot conceive of any concoction the would fix a blown head gasket, that creates a relatively large opening.
How did you know it had a blown head gasket, the only way to be sure is to remove the head and then if it was blown it would have been replaced.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 1:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
DavidM
GMC is that small automobile conglomerate called General Motors Corporation
When my daughters Pontiac Grand Prix died on the freeway at 70MPH, we had it towed to GMC for diagnosis.
They called and stated the engine had hydro locked due to a blown head gasket. Their estimate to repair was $2500 assuming no major engine damage also occurred

That's when I researched the web and found this two part additive. The car could not be run for more than about 5 minutes, even from a cold start, without it overheating. I followed the directions, flushing the engine with fresh water, added the two part mixture and drove under 30MPH for a couple of miles. In about 5 minutes, the car started overheating and I turned around to come back home. On the way, the temp gauge dropped back to normal operating range.

Read what the internet has to say about these additives. I was highly skeptical as well but did not want to invest that kind of money in this car so gave it a try, nothing to lose. Believer or not, it worked and my daughter put on another 60K+ miles.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I mis-read your post as the additive cost $2200. I have only ever heard negative experience with these products, despite the claims, when used in such a demanding application. My own experience was with a 1920's Packard that had a hairline crack in the cylinder block between two valve seats between adjoining cylinders. The crack had been metal pinned and still leaked slightly . An additive in the water sealed it for about 3-400 miles.
Do you recall the actual additive that you used?

Posted on: 2017/12/30 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thermagasket

https://mobile.rxauto.com/prices/

As with anything on the web, tehre are good and bad reviews. It worked great for me

Posted on: 2017/12/30 17:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved