Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1927,526 Engine problems
Just popping in
Just popping in

KM
See User information
Hi my name is Mac, I'm very new to this, so bear with me thanks
I have a friend that has a 1927, 526 Packard .
It is a straight flat head, L Head, Six cylinder .
As he tries to accelerate the Engine, the RPM go's up very little and has very little power, I wish I could download a video you would really understand, what are the common problems that could be associated with this engine .
I will be down there on 10 February, I have never worked on his engine but I have worked on Model A ,1938 Cadillac , And also current 1960 cars .
If there's any probable cause to these engines, if you didn't mind give me some ideas so I would have a better solution to my friends problem .
Thanks again appreciate all the help
Mac😀🚀🇺🇸

Posted on: 2018/2/7 10:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1927,526 Engine problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Mac,

That engine is a fundamentally sound design with no inherent weaknesses, so I suggest you start with the usual things you'd check on any similar engine, start with diagnostics like compression and manifold vacuum. If that doesn't lead you to something specific, then continue on with the basics like checking ignition and ignition timing, valve timing, carburetion and fuel supply. Any obvious clues from the appearance of the spark plugs?

Posted on: 2018/2/7 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Can you be more specific about acceleration?
Is that from engine idle or slow cruise?
Our 526 Six was having difficulty to accelerate above 40 mph. the problem was solved when we removed the inline fuel filter between the vacuum tank and the carb.

Posted on: 2018/2/7 13:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

KM
See User information
Thanks, I will start out with the typical, fuel delivery, vacuum leaks and maybe timing, I will also take a look the plugs, The video my friend sent me , The car was parked and he was trying to accelerate above Idle end it wouldn't go much above, I would say 1500 RPM
, Thanks again appreciate your time
Mac 🇺🇸
PS, I have worked on in 1937 cord, flathead V-8, had pulled it apart change pistons reassembled, lots of fun, but it runs great 😀🚀🇺🇸

Posted on: 2018/2/7 13:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

KM
See User information
Hi, thanks for getting back with me I appreciate, the gentleman of the car send me a video, he was increasing the throttle to Above Idle to about 1500 RPM, and after that it would go much higher, I will look for the obvious fuel filter fuel delivery , Vacuum leaks and maybe ignition,.
Thank you for all your time and I appreciate, if you have any good ideas for me I'll be glad to use them 😃👍
Mac 😃🇺🇸🚀
PS, I also worked on 1937 cord, Changing out Pistons ,installing transmissions and set up, Lots of fun 😁

Posted on: 2018/2/7 13:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mac(KM),
to PackardInfo, can't add anything to the conversation except could you post the video your friend sent you? May assist the more experienced here in their diagnosis.

Normally I ask posters to include their Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry. But, in this instance, maybe you could ask your friend to include his '27 526 in the Registry?

Posted on: 2018/2/7 13:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved