Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carter WA-1 Carburators
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
The '39 Six had been developing a sag between gears and upon sudden acceleration, but starting and running good, so I was going re-kit the carb. The tag # is 466S, which according to the book, is for a 1940 Oldsmobile (o my goodness) Book says the correct carb would be tag # 477S. My burning question: What is the difference? I know Carter made WA-1's for a bunch of stuff. Is it worth messing with only to have it "never quite right" or would the differences add up to nothing in the end?

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/1/12 17:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter WA-1 Carburators
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Not an answer, but yesterday I received the "Illustrated Packard Buyers Guide"(Refer Packard Bookshelf) I bought off eBay recently. First page it fell open to contained the following, see pic. The co-incidence that there should be a post about carbs for the 6's I just couldn't let go by.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.92 KB)
226_496bd954b8bd9.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2009/1/12 18:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Assuming that the problem is with the carburetor I am going to stick my neck out and advise that I doubt that there are many differences between the two Carter WA-1 carburetors. Both engines were of approximately the same size 229.7 vs 245.3 CID so the carbs are probably almost identical so except for finding the correct carburetor body number and tag for show purposes this carb should work OK. My Motors Manual shows almost that the metering rod gauge # is the same for both carbs and there is difference in the accelerator pump adjustment using the Carter tool but all else seems to be the same. You might do some checking to see if the problem is not something else such as a defective vacuum advance, float level out of adjustment or faulty acceleration pump which could cause this problem before doing a complete overhaul of the carb. If the problem has just developed it would indicate to me that the minor differences in the two carburetors is not the issue.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 19:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks for the replys, that's kind of what I figured. If you think about it, I bet the major differences are linkage hook ups, like on the right or left, front or back etc. I went ahead and got the kit for the 466S carb, I suspect the accelerator pump myself. I'll rekit the whole thing as long as I have it apart, just so I know what I have.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Just an fyi,
466s is Wa-1
477s is We- carb
Mount and air cleaner are the same,most of the difference is in the choke linkage.

There is a screen on top of your carb above the fuel line inlet.(looks like a cap plug)I recommend checking that often if the car has set for a long period.If this clogs you will have a fuel starvation problem and the symptoms are pretty close to yours.
RT

Posted on: 2009/1/14 21:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks for that, I will investigate this screen.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 8:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved