Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

Ross, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

2262-9 Rear Axle Seals
Just popping in
Just popping in

landlord30
See User information
Hello,

I recently got around to getting my 2262-9 running. One area that needed attention was the leaking rear axle. The axle seals, pinion seal and differential case gasket were all leaking. There was next to no fluid left in the case, fortunately it appears most of the leakage occurred while the car sat for 30 plus years.

I looked through this site especially the parts cross reference section to find modern parts numbers for the seals. I see the 2 big Packard parts vendors carry them but I like to support my local independent parts store as much as I can.
Does anyone have modern numbers for the inner, outer and pinion seals? The outer seal number listed on the cross reference may work but the inner seal listed appears to be too large to fit the axle tube. On the pinion seal, does the "bell shaped" part hold the seal and get reused with a new seal or is it part of a new seal assembly? Finally, is there a modern number for the differential case gasket?

Thanks
Matt

Posted on: 2018/7/30 13:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 2262-9 Rear Axle Seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a cross referencehttp://www.studebaker-info.org/Cb/MetalSealXch.txt someone put together with most of the Packard and Studebaker seal part numbers crossed to commonly available Victor, C/R, or National seals of the time. Many of those old seals can be crossed at the SKF interchange site to modern SK numbers if they are still available.http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm and if so, most can be bought at Napa, Amazon or an ebay vendor.

Of those modern seals I have used most of the ID and OD are correct and fit perfectly but some do vary in width. Narrower is not usually an issue but in some cases the replacements are wider than the original seals and do cause problems. Front spindle to drum seals for my 47 are one I have found that is too wide to fit in the drum. If you are looking to do those too you might need to go to Max or Kanter.

The pinion seal is an issue because the Packard part number includes the metal housing the seal fits into so most times does not cross. Some have been able to remove the seal from the housing and find a number to cross but in other cases the housing is damaged when the seal is removed and needs to be replaced. I don't know if you have worked on Packard axles before but they use a crush sleeve to set the distance to the ring rear. Before removing the pinion seal mark the nut and pinion shaft with some kind of reference. When removing the nut to release the yoke do so in a manner you can count the exact number of turns and partial turns so you can get the nut back and tightened in the exact same spot. If it is not returned exactly, the pinion to ring gear distance and preload is changed which in short order has caused noise problems in the rear end.

Posted on: 2018/7/30 15:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 2262-9 Rear Axle Seals
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Matt(landlord30),
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/7/30 16:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved