Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 160 Gauge Removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

Friartuck
See User information
Looking for the procedure on removing the ammeter from the dash of a 1940 160 (Town Car). Does the trim have to come off the front to access any screws or can the ammeter be removed from behind? Using a mirror, I see four small nuts on each corner. Are these fixed studs to the dash or flat head screws that will turn under the trim while I unscrew the four nuts? Any other tips on gauge removal. This ammeter is pegged in Discharge hence the need to service it.

Posted on: 2018/9/14 15:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 160 Gauge Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Its possible it's just stuck. My '39 was pinned the other way and when I took it apart, it was somehow adhered with what looked like a little ball of paint to the top end of the travel. Yours may or may not be that; main reason I weighed in is I have a 1940 gas gauge/ammeter gauge cluster that I got on Ebay. The actual gauges were the same as my '39, although the front bezel and lettering was a bit different. If you find you're in need, PM me.

Posted on: 2018/9/14 18:55
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Oh, and I forgot to mention, again, if it's the same as mine, it CAN be removed from the back and the studs are fixed.

Posted on: 2018/9/14 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If it doesn't return to 0 with the key off, just try tapping on it with the palm of your hand several times. I know, it sounds like car repair by hammer.

Its natural position is 0. There's only one reason why is reads Discharge (unless it's stuck), is because it has a major discharge. Using a mirror, see if the wiring looks okay, then it's stuck.

If it's really broken, I don't think you have to remove the nuts, just loosen them enough so you can wiggle the ammeter off. The ammeter doesn't have holes for the studs, just crescents. It will be a lot easier to put back.

Posted on: 2018/9/15 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey Friartuck,

Joe makes a good point re not removing the nuts entirely, at first, anyways, because again, if the gauges are the same as mine, and it sounds like they probably are, if I remember correctly, only one end of the gauge had crescents and the other had full holes. If you loosen them all off, it will be easy to see which is which. I think it is the outside two with full holes while the inside two 'share' studs with the speedo. (again, if my memory serves me correctly) I ended up removing my front seat bottom and putting a piece of foam against the firewall for my head and laying in there on my back with one of those harness head lamps on and I was able to see quite well. I found hand-nut drivers worked very well to hold the nut while getting it in to place to start the threads. Don't forget those wires are plenty hot, even with the key off!
Good luck, Chris

Posted on: 2018/9/17 0:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
This is from my spare parts either for a 40 or 41? Cannot remember

Attach file:

jpg  (120.04 KB)
733_5b9f3e2aec0f7.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/9/17 0:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Other side. How do you people attach more than one picture at a time?

Attach file:

jpg  (91.71 KB)
733_5b9f3e57e6422.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/9/17 0:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information

Posted on: 2018/9/17 6:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved