Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 261

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is the purpose of this hardware on the doors of converts and hardtops?
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I was looking at a 54 convertible and noticed some additional latch hardware that is not present on sedans. I've attached pictures of the hardware in question, circled in red. I've since seen pictures of hardtops that also have this hardware.
What is the purpose of this "latch"? Is it some sort of guide for the long doors on the 2 door cars?

Attach file:

jpg  (71.98 KB)
1136_5bf3902a80be4.jpg 960X640 px

jpg  (76.45 KB)
1136_5bf39040192e7.jpg 960X640 px

Posted on: 2018/11/19 23:42
 Top  Print   

Re: What is the purpose of this hardware on the doors of converts and hardtops?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I can't say what the function was on the Packard, but years ago I had a '67 Lincoln convertible which had additional door locks which became engaged at about 7mph to provide more stabillity.

Posted on: 2018/11/20 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
On the Packard, there is no locking or latching mechanism associated with the catches. They are fixed and don't move.
I have seen these on mid-50's Chryslers, too. Also only on the convertibles and 2 door hardtops. The Chrysler mechanism looks identical to the Packard.

Posted on: 2018/11/20 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the extra hardware may be anti vibration needed because of body flex with the long doors and lack of any of the upper door structure and weatherstripping that would be present on sedan body and doors to keep vibration to a minimum.

There is no "capture" ability with the extra hardware as the two pieces just touch against each other when the door is closed. There is nothing to ensure one piece stays connected to the other. The body part has a brass block that is spring loaded and when the ramp shaped piece on the door closes against it the brass block is pushed back toward the center of the car and puts a bit of pressure outward on the door. That would tend to force the wheel in the latch mechanism to be pushed against the striker a bit preventing excess vibration. Because of the spring a secondary function might be to kick the door out a tiny bit when it is opened.

As far as stronger latches Packard did go to what they called safety door lathes in 56. There is an extra plate on the striker portion which slides behind a narrower cogged wheel on the door portion when the door is closed. Packard literature states the new latches will withstand three times the impact of the 51-55 version and still keep the door closed.

There is an interesting contradiction in the literature as to whether all 56s had the new latches. The lead in sentence says it is standard equipment on all Packard and Clipper models but an asterisk at the end refers to another statement that says available at moderate extra cost but standard on Caribbeans. Parts book would indicate it was standard on all. Does anyone have a 56 that does not have the new style latch with a 1/8 thick plate on the top part of the striker over the toothed insert?

Posted on: 2018/11/21 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is a spring loaded wedge that provides a modicum of extra support to keep the door gaps under control. They put them on the cars with no B-pillars as they are more prone to flexing.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 11:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many prewar seniors have similar devices, regardless of body style. You can see them here on this 1934 1100, just below the latch plate, front and rear door. On the door itself is a fixed and tapered metal wedge that enters the part shown on the pillar which has spring-loaded blocks above and below to center the wedge and insure that the door is centered within the opening. Also rubber bumpers top and bottom, these doors close like a bank vault door.

Attach file:

jpg  (303.59 KB)
177_5bf587bc39e97.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2018/11/21 11:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved