Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Driving/Fog lights... 5" or 6"??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I am thinking about putting a set of front bumper-mounted lights on my '39 Six. I have a few questions... will I run into current draw issues with both headlights and driving lights on at the same time? (with generator in good shape)
What is more the convention on these cars, 5" or 6"??? Is there general thought on whether they adorn the front end of a Packard, or clutter it up?? Which looks better, clear or amber??? I realize some of this stuff is subjective; I'm just curious what MOST owners out there do and what the general thoughts on the subject lean towards. Sources?? I see lots of repro stuff on Ebay. Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/12/28 18:48
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Driving/Fog lights... 5" or 6"??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A generator in good condition should have more than adequate capacity for your normal lights plus fogs, though it might be a pretty close to its limit if you concurrently had a radio and heater functioning at the same time. Surely Packard sized the generator to be compatible with standard and available optional equipment.

Unity was a major brand for those lights and the are still available as new manufacture from Kanter, even with Packard badging if you wish.

I personally like the frontal appearance of the car devoid of such accessories, but if you want them I'd go for the smaller size as a fog lamp.

Posted on: 2018/12/28 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Dave, I respect your opinion and am kind of 'on the fence' as to whether to add them or just leave the front end alone. Based on what you are saying, the 5" amber fog versions would be 'most appropriate'?? I seem to remember that someone had said that 6" was the 'correct' size for this series Packard. Pic attached

Attach file:

jpg  (28.47 KB)
121627_5c26bf09b3483.jpg 500X399 px

Posted on: 2018/12/28 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1940 110 had the 6" which I understand is appropriate for late prewar. Mine, which I still have, were reproductions by Unity that apparently made them originally.

Posted on: 2018/12/28 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Don,

Now I remember it was you who said 6" was the appropriate size! Thanks for weighing in. I can get a set of those Unity lights, Packard scripted, clear lenses, in 6" - NOS with the original under-dash switch for $200. I guess 6" makes them the same size as the headlights and I guess that's the idea. I thought the slightly smaller 5" amber fogs might look a little more 'understated'- not sure, and that's why I asked the question, to see what most folks go with, or if there is any recognized convention to which I should pay attention. One small detail I didn't like on the Unity lights was the brackets are just galvanized and the repro fog units have nice, chromed arms; not a deal breaker, just a preference.
Appreciate your input. Oh, and I think the unity lights are sealed beams and the amber fogs have replaceable bulbs. Chris

Attach file:

jpg  (167.65 KB)
121627_5c27d3a6129f2.jpg 1600X1233 px

Posted on: 2018/12/29 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 5" lights were mainly used postwar and better suited the lower car styles of the era but 6" looks far better on a car like yours. (Your headlights are probably 7".) As for clear bulbs, check your laws first as I once was pulled over in California for having them. Also, apparently the amber bulbs can pierce fog better. Unity was the (or one of the) original manufacturers and can be purchased with the Packard name on top or with the Unity label. As I recall, mine have silver brackets but not shiny chrome and I've never seen NOS lights so nothing to compare. I have seen lights advertised as NOS but they were actually Unity NORS version, or early reproductions.

Edit: mine are identical to those in your most recent photo and, of course, the wire type is modern. For a proper period look, replacing it with cloth wire would look better but not sure if they were originally inside a protective sheath or not.

Posted on: 2018/12/29 15:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, Unity is still very much in the business of making these lamps so what you think may be reproductions are more likely authentic current Unity production. Unity has recently celebrated their 100th anniversary.

Posted on: 2018/12/29 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, that's what I was trying to say but perhaps was too clear. I was simply trying to separate those made "in the day" which would be NOS from those made today which would be NORS or modern reproduction.

Posted on: 2018/12/29 16:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
The Packard accessory lamps 1937 to 1940 were called "Packard Road And Fog Lamps". the brand name was "Stellar",and were manufactured by the C.M.Hall Lamp Co..The amber lens is approx. 5 1/2 in. diam. ........

Posted on: 2018/12/29 16:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved