Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Styling exercise?????
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I found these three pics on Autabuy for sale. They claim this is a styling concept ordered up in 1956, built on a Caribbean by Packard's chief of engineering at Packard. I never, ever heard of the existance of anything like this.

Thought I'd post one of his pictures & question here for more visibility. As 423reed asks, has anyone seen this before? I haven't either but must admit, think it is nicely done compared to some that are out there..

Attach file:

jpg  (14.29 KB)
209_49769d398a2f5.jpg 500X333 px

Posted on: 2009/1/20 23:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Styling exercise?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think there was a post on here somewhere before where we all made fun of this clunker. I mean, come on! A "1956 Caribbean custom made by a former Packard designer" that has a Patrician serial number???

There's one born every minute!

Posted on: 2009/1/21 1:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember the discussion on this one and didn't think it official either. That's why I said thought it was nicely done compared to some of the others.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The execution of this car is much better than the BS trying to claim a true lineage. Forget the rhetoric and look at the car.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless there was some special strengthening in the cowl, I suspect it was quite a shaker on the road without the support of the windshield frame, kind of like the early Darrins.

I sincerely doubt that Studebaker-Packard had anything to do with the styling of this car.

White jeweled mudflaps would be a nice additional touch.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 9:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I can see why the guy was a "former" Packard designer; neither the approach nor the execution is very good, IMHO.

While you have to give some credit for attempting to section the body, that approach worked a lot better with the Pan Americans. Looking at the interior view, it appears that they took the easy way out, here, and gave up on the roll-down side windows completely.

Then, the line of rear quarters makes it look like the car was hit in the rear and the frame bent. They might have pulled this off a bit better if they had trimmed the lower quarters to the rear of the wheel opening and heavily reworked the bumper ends to tighten up the rear. It would look better without those big headrest "fins".

Then, the windscreen looks like a recycled backlight from a '56 Patrician, and I don't see why they need to have the pushbutton control pod pointing at 2- rather than 3-o'clock.

Hmm, didn't we discuss a car like this several years ago, in another forum - only painted in a medium blue metallic?

Anyway, I give it a thumbs down - but that's just my personal opinion.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
BH wrote:
Quote:
I can see why the guy was a "former" Packard designer; neither the approach nor the execution is very good, IMHO...the line of rear quarters makes it look like the car was hit in the rear and the frame bent.

Brian,

That was my impression, too. The whole rear from the door jambs back hangs down. Not a pleasing stance.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 15:59
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved