Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Universal Joint
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I am in the process of restoring a 55 Patrician. I find that the rear universal joint has been badly damaged and needs to be replaced with a complete new unit. The joint looks very ordinary (unlike the front universal), does this unit cross reference with one I can order from Napa?

Posted on: 2009/4/4 18:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Universal Joint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you're going to have to take the old into a store and measure it. There seems to be some variation. Another x-ref site says it's a Napa 304. I have a NOS Wesco N3012G from an original Packard dealer labeled as for 55-56 senior. It crosses to 531G. As you can see from the specs, there is a bit of inconsistency. Am not totally believing the old dealer markings however.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.21 KB)
209_49d7f7398b1bf.jpg 488X357 px

jpg  (35.68 KB)
209_49d7f74a25fe0.jpg 595X419 px

Posted on: 2009/4/4 19:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
chuck wrote: am in the process of restoring a 55 Patrician.........

G'day Chuck,

See you already have a '56 Pat in the Owner Registryhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=20
Could you include the '55 Pat in the Registry as well please?

Posted on: 2009/4/4 20:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
When doing the mechanicals on my '55 Pat, I took the original to a local NAPA store and compared it to the NAPA 304. The one out of my car was a significantly larger version of the NAPA 304 and the 304 would not serve. I was about to leave town at the time and hadn't time to chase parts so telephoned Sandy Chirco at Tucson Packard, told him what I needed (a rear u-joint for a '55 Patrician) and when I returned from my business trip an identical (new, remanufactured, ??) serviceable one was waiting for me. I don't remember what it cost but it was the right one and has been functioning properly for a couple of years of daily driving. I think that the NAPA 304 is for juniors but am not certain. There's probably a cross match (from the difference in sizes between the larger one that fit and the NAPA 304, I'd tend to suspect that the cross match might be with some light truck or other) but I've never been able to find it.

Posted on: 2009/4/4 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There have been several times that I've had to buy two u-joints to get one that will work. Buy one with the right size cross, but the caps are too small, so I have to buy another one that's a smaller cross but has bigger caps. Put bigger caps on larger cross, and presto, you have the correct u-joint. I've done this quite a lot when it comes to older cars.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 0:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I'm not ready to put the 55 Patrician in the registry. A little background, I bought the car in Georgia about two years ago. The previous owner had purchased it 25 years before, totally disassembled it and quit. So far my partner and I have removed the body from the frame (very little rust) and put it back. We have rebuilt the engine (20 thousands over and PI rebuilt oil pump) and are slowly reassembling it. When finished I will sen pictures. Gray and white originally, it will be solid dark green when finished.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 14:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
chuck wrote: I'm not ready to put the 55 Patrician in the registry........

Chuck for the background info on the '55 Patrician. With the Owner Registry "You can add your Packard to this Roster and even come back an edit it later." So it can cater to car/s as progress is made through restoration. I look forward to seeing the '55 in the Registry whenever you are ready to do so.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 14:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Chuck,
Please consider starting a Project Blog of your 55 restoration in the Forum-Project Blog section of this website. The progress can be shared. And guys are always helping out with great knowledge and comments on your questions about restoration.

Big Kev's Blog is one example of the many really great restoration blogs on PackardInfo that we have been able to watch, comment, and applaud. He started with a list of problems and has over 400 entries on there now. (see link below).

I know it sounds 'like more work' (which you have enough of) but, for all that you and your friend are doing, it is worth sharing, recording and preserving.

THIS WEBSITE IS NOT JUST ABOUT SHINY, SHOWY, FINISH JOBS.
It is all about PACKARDS!!!

Link to Project Blogs (in Forums section)

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=10

Link to Big Kev's Blog:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=57&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

DanL

Posted on: 2009/4/5 16:53
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Chuck,

Here is a thread that Big Kev moved into the Blog section for a member last December. He could do the same for you with this thread.

What ya' think?

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=18694&topic_id=1980&#forumpost18694

DanL

Posted on: 2009/4/5 17:01
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved