Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front suspension
Just popping in
Just popping in

John Wright
See User information
Hi. I have a 1950 23 series. It looks like its leaning quite alot to the drivers side front. I also the springs are good. So looking for any information on what the problem could be

Posted on: 2022/7/15 17:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Front suspension
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I don't have much to say offhand but attaching some pictures would be helpful

Posted on: 2022/7/15 18:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Front springs seem to have been somewhat weak on the Clipper based models thru 50 and can start to sag. Packard even had spacers and suggested some remedial work on cars with strike thru or one side lower as detailed in the article in this Service Counselor.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO14.pdf After all these years the situation is worse and it is not uncommon to see one of those Clipper based models with a lower drivers side or even the entire front end dropping a bit.

If you are absolutely sure the springs are good what about the left side shock absorber. Can you add and remove weight and have the suspension react? If the shock absorber has run dry and the piston is stuck or something else has damaged the internals it is possible the shock has frozen in place and is keeping that side low.

Posted on: 2022/7/15 19:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you reference the service manual suspension section they have ride height specifications. There should be 5 inches clearance between the axle housing and the frame and 3 1/2 inches clearance for the front lower control arm to the bottom of the frame.

They show where to do it in the manual, but 3 1/2 inches does seem a little sparse. But that's what they say.

Posted on: 2022/7/15 22:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved