Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Henney Executive Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
At the Geneva Concours d'Elegance yesterday, I was parked next to this 1953 Henney Executive Sedan. I'm not sure of its history, but it had some association with the Rat Pack.

Anyway, what I found interesting were these rear A/C vents. They look too modern to be anything original or period aftermarket.

Also no intakes on the rear quarter panels. So it must be aftermarket of some type. Pretty sure the car was converted to 12v.

Attach file:

jpg  20230827_143030.jpg (219.13 KB)
1_64eca057c7bf6.jpg 1920X767 px

jpeg  20230827_074954 Large.jpeg (73.20 KB)
1_64eca0664dae1.jpeg 1280X576 px

Posted on: 2023/8/28 8:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Henney Executive Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would wonder if it might be an aftermarket trunk unit or maybe something custom was made and installed instead of factory vents. If it is aftermarket would be interesting to know the mfg as those vents do not show as offerings with Vintage or Old Air units.

Along with the cold air outlets, the center air return grill does not have the correct look and placement and for a factory system, there are knobs missing that should be on either side of the air return grill that worked like the windshield wiper control. Those were used to open and close the fresh air vents outside on the fenders. They may be present but can't really see any fender vents in the photo.

In 53 the factory outer cold air supply vents would have been flat oval shaped pieces of plastic like the fresh air vents below the dash on the firewall in front only with straight across louvers. The vents were expertly placed to direct cold air straight to the passengers necks and back of heads. Sometime later in production Packard started offering the clear plastic vents other mfgs used which directed air upward above the passengers to the roof where it went across the headliner toward the front. Looking at the forward pointing air direction with those aftermarket vents, unless they also swivel side to side am not sure they would be any more comfortable than the first factory offering.

The center air return grill would have been two castings shaped like the rear seat speaker casting and separated by several inches -- enough that a rear seat speaker could be squeezed in between the grills. The returns had a fairly coarse wire mesh in the opening instead of the crossed bars.

Posted on: 2023/8/28 9:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Speculation doesn't help without talking to the owner/listing, etc. Without popping the hood, trunk, etc. and vehicle history just this picture is undistinguishable.
I would guess you'd have to check the Henney literature and see if A/C was an option in '53.
Parts lists, pictures, etc. may show some fixtures. Most of the big cars had two units, front and rear.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 12:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well, it's for sure not 1953-54 Packard Factory air—no air intake on the rear quarters.

Given it is now a 12v car, I think something later was adapted. I belive I have seen those vents somewhere before. I think there are aftermarket dash A/C vents.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 12:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not really speculation and those are not Packard pieces, Packard brought back AC in 53 and it was a fairly expensive option but available on all models. They bought and used the same Frigidaire refrigeration components and compressor unit Cadillac used but spec'd or made their own evaporator case, louvers, and operator controls to differentiate it from Cadillac. For 54, Packard units stayed the same and used the same neck cooling package shelf louvers or plastic see thru ducts while Cadillac enhanced cold air distribution for their cars by running the plastic see thru pieces up to meet ducts installed under the headliner which went forward to feed adjustable side vents nearer the seats.

Posted on: 2023/8/29 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved