Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carpet Suggestions?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
Any ideas for DIY carpet for my 22nd series Custom 8? I think I could purchase some bulk carpet but have not figured out how to sew the binding.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 21:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Carpet Suggestions?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge there is no match, and hasn't been one for years, for that pure wool Super Wilton with the thick foam backing. Far as I know Rolls was the only other car to use it. Bill Hirsch has had some Wilton 100% wool materials that come close.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
O_D, is the Super Wilton you refer to the same as the 'Mosstred' (Mosstread?) carpet I have in the '41 Limo? If so, was that carpet discontinued starting with the 23rd series? I know that Packard backpedaled with some of the luxury features with the 23rd series Customs, e.g., chrome work on the dashboard, and tufting of the seat upholstery. Was the carpeting another item they changed? My 23rd series currently has a spectacularly amateur carpeting job done with some leftover stuff that I wouldn't carpet a doghouse with.

calcustom8, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I will be doing the same thing you are attempting to do once I figure out what the carpet is supposed to look like for the 23rd series.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 22nd Series Custom 8's used Mosstred carpet which is a Wilton wool carpet bonded to heavy foam rubber. There is no binding on the original as the carpet material wraps around the edge of the rubber backing. I duplicated this on my car by purchasing the Wilton carpet material from Bill Hirsch and attaching it to 3/8" thick closed cell neoprene with spray on 3M adhesive 90. In hindsight I should perhaps have used open cell neoprene for a closer match to the original but thought that the closed cell would be less likely to hold water in the event that it became wet. I was very careful about fitting up the carpet and backing material before using the spray adhesive which is like contact cement, so once pressed together it is there to stay. The rear carpet is quite easy but the front takes a bit more care as it has a cutout where it goes over the transmission hump that is not sewn but simply butts together.
I have no experience with 23rd Series cars but the parts book shows different numbers for the Custom 8's so it looks like different material was used.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 0:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BdeB, sounds like you did a very commendable job duplicating the appearance of the original Wilton Mosstread. How about a picture?

I had a 1950 Custom 8 and seem to recall it also had the Mosstread Wilton product, but am not absolutely positive. One reason for the different part number would the absence of an opening for the clutch pedal on the 1950, as Ultramatic was standard equipment and no delete option on the Custom series.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 6:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
The 22nd Series Custom 8's used Mosstred carpet which is a Wilton wool carpet bonded to heavy foam rubber. There is no binding on the original as the carpet material wraps around the edge of the rubber backing. I duplicated this on my car by purchasing the Wilton carpet material from Bill Hirsch and attaching it to 3/8" thick closed cell neoprene with spray on 3M adhesive 90. In hindsight I should perhaps have used open cell neoprene for a closer match to the original but thought that the closed cell would be less likely to hold water in the event that it became wet. I was very careful about fitting up the carpet and backing material before using the spray adhesive which is like contact cement, so once pressed together it is there to stay. The rear carpet is quite easy but the front takes a bit more care as it has a cutout where it goes over the transmission hump that is not sewn but simply butts together.
I have no experience with 23rd Series cars but the parts book shows different numbers for the Custom 8's so it looks like different material was used.

My sample is not worthy of a dog house either so I had no idea about this foam backing. Can you tell me more about the transmission hump and how the carpet is finished on the edges?

Posted on: 2009/5/24 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I don't have a photo readily available of my installation as the car is stored in a location 140 miles away but i took a few shots of an original front carpet. The edges are finished by wrapping the carpet material over the sides and bonding it to the rubber backing.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.45 KB)
1137_4a19b41d62fc1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (106.22 KB)
1137_4a19b434dc115.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (121.61 KB)
1137_4a19b44e89f97.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (167.72 KB)
1137_4a19b46b5ceb3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (118.31 KB)
1137_4a19b47e433e4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/5/24 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
BDeB, a thousand thanks. That's exactly the picture I've been looking for! I'm now far more comfortable tackling the re-carpet job on my '50 than I was before. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 16:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved