Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PCV Valve on a 359
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi All:

Has anyone installed a PCV Valve on their straight eight? Reason asking: I just completed a valve job on my 359. I was surprized at the amount of sludge in the Tappet Chambers. Also the valve springs and washers had some surface rust. And I had 3 stuck valves. I suppose this is due to not running the beast long enough to get it really up to temperature. Blowby and oil consumption, on this engine, is not bad. The last time I had the head off was about 15 years ago.

Years ago, I experimented with this on a 51 327. I read, at the time, that this was mandatory in California. Regardless of the year. As I recollect, the experiment was successful. With no noticeable change in driveability. Although I did not have this car log enough for a long term evaluation. Anyway, my rational was, this system has to be much more efficient than the road draft tube.

I'm hesitant to try this on my Pacific. As it's not a rust bucket. Like the 51 was. I know the concept of a PCV Valve. It induces a small vacuum in the crankcase at high manifold vacuum (Idle). And a much larger vacuum at low manifold vacuum (Load). The idle vacuum is not concerning. As I recollect, I didn't even have to re-adjust the idle mixture screws on the 51.

My concern is the larger vacuum under load. What does this do to carburetor jetting? And overall lean running? That might be detrimental to the exhaust valves.

Furthermore; As you know, these engines use the old rope seals for crankcase sealing. Will they stand up to a negative pressure in the crankcase?

My main objective is to obtain better breathing in the Tappet Chambers. As I use this car infrequently. And possibly reduce the above mentioned issues.

Your thought?

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/9/4 14:32
 Top  Print   

Re: PCV Valve on a 359
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I supect that your problem is the infrequent running. Your straight 8 engine does not need any engineering improvements, Packard had been making that engine for so long by then that they had it down cold.
Start the car and let it run for hours, rev the speed up every so often and drive it around, under all driving conditions and see where it's at after that. Did you suddenly start using detergent oils in that engine? Has it been rebuilt recently? Have you dropped the oil pan to see what's down there?

Posted on: 2009/9/4 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree completely with Mr. PB. If the draft tube is clear and the air inlet (oil filler cap) is maintained (cleaned and reoiled occasionally), and the car used with some frequency, I don't see that any changes should be needed, even with prolonged storage. But don't forget that the crankcase vent system (road draft tube & filler cap) only function when the car is in motion.

I've typically stored my Packards from perhaps November until April, sometimes even longer, and never had any problems. However, when the season comes each of them usually accumulates 500-1000 miles of use. I have occasionally removed valve covers and oil pans and they tend to stay pretty spic and span; you might have a problem somewhere with your car, but probably the best cure is to use the car more often.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 15:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Thanks for the reply guys. Kind of figured infrequent usage was the culprit. Good idea Pushbutton, I think I'll pull the pan next oil change.

With all the grand children coming. This classy old girl has taken a back burner. Now the older ones are saying "Grandpa; Can we ride in the old car?" So it looks like we have a solution. After I check out the Easamatic Brakes, of course.

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/9/4 16:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
BTW this is NOT required in California. Any year of Packard is old enough to be except from emission control. Kind of like seatbelts, if it didn't come from the factory with it, then it's not required.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 18:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, you're right that older cars are now exempt. Back when the law was newer in late 60's early 70's it was a different story. Don't remember which car I had at the time (not Packard -- maybe a 62 Pontiac) but do remember it had to have 2 things retrofitted before tags or renewal could be had. One was the PCV setup and the other was something to do with oxides of nitrogen. It had a vacuum connection and it altered the timing in some way. The car ran hotter and like crap after it was put on.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 19:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
BTW this is NOT required in California. Any year of Packard is old enough to be except from emission control. Kind of like seatbelts, if it didn't come from the factory with it, then it's not required.

Kev, You are probably not old enough the know this but In the early 60's when all this clean air crap was getting started California did require a PVC valve be installed on every car. They would cram a rubber plug up the breather tube and cut a hole in one of the valve covers (don't know what they did with a flat head) and run a line from there to the air cleaner. Of course the PVC valve was in that line. Don't remember how they plugged off the oil filler tube. Probably used a non vented cap of some sort.

I remember this was death to an old motor. All that oil blow by would gum up the carb and make a mess in the combustion chamber. I remember my Mom's old 1950 Cad after the PVC instillation. The system sucked the crank case dry on a short trip from Pleasant Hill to Oakland some 26 miles. Almost lost the motor all together. Remember my Dad pulling the plug after that.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 19:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Well, if you live in a bowl, it's going to get smoggy!

Posted on: 2009/9/5 0:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved