Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 181

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Packard engine #'s database
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, I've been threatening to do this for quite some time, and Al's blog made me get off my butt and post this. For everyone who has their engines out of the car, can you get me the casting numbers, stamped engine numbers, casting dates, and what year/size it is? I'm going to build a database to put on here so if someone buys an unknown engine they can tell what it is right away by looking at the casting number, in case the stamped number is ineligible or is an NOS block. If you do not want your numbers read by others, for whatever reason, please pm me with them and I'll keep them anonymous.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 16:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard engine #'s database
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Eric,

I'll get a couple of '39 110 6's for you today and there'll be others coming in due course.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thanks Mal! I knew I could count on you!

Posted on: 2009/10/27 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
So lemme get this straight, Eric...you are now going to compete with Mal in establishing a Packard Engine Registry? Are you going to establish a Packard Police Force with O/D to issue citations to all the owners whose engine numbers are not in step with the serial numbers or delivery dates? You're gonna see if you can compete with Mal to keep score of who can make demands of new registrants first? Why not just set up a network of lawyers to depose each new registrant... I believe April 1st is a long way off yet, so me thinks you're sitting in a field under a full moon waiting for the great pumpkin to arrive and bring a magic bag of Packard parts to all the good little boys and girls in your neighborhood? Hmmmm....maybe someone will then start a parts registry and we can get some real value to know who has what stashed. Gotta go now, its happy hour here.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
No, unlike Mal this is totally voluntary. I won't be hounding every new member to crawl under their new cars and scrape grease off their engine to get me the numbers. This is only if the engine's out and easily accessed. I won't be posting this anywhere else or in anyone's thread. I will update it occasionally to keep it towards the top here so people see it.

And, this isn't a registry, it's a database of casting numbers and what they mean for Packard owners. If I get a real wild hair up my ass I'll do heads too. Think of this as a casting number equivalent of the stamped engine number database already on here, this will complement it. The point of this is, if someone is looking for an engine to replace in their car and find one, they can check the casting numbers and see if it's correct for their car.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Streight 8's only???

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Of course not, V8's and V12's and Sixes are needed too!

Posted on: 2009/10/27 20:59
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Caribbean
See User information
sounds like a great idea! several Mopar sites do this for Mopar engines and it is SO helpful!

Posted on: 2009/10/27 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Glad that you like it!

Here's what we've got so far, based on Al's Clipper hotrod thread and me asking an eBay seller about the Packard V8 that's currently on there.

1955 320-446521
1955 352-440275
1956 352 Clipper-440275-A(this is just theory as of right now)
1956 374-440971

Now, on to the straight eights:
1953 327 9 main L6XXXXX-428881 (might be wrong, mine's a little worn, need to verify.)
1947 356 F5XXXX-313921
1948 356 G6XXXX-388700
1952 288 L2XXXX-428008

I will add more as I find them, I have two 1948 288's, one in my '48 and one out of my original '48 up at my mother's place. I will get these numbers as soon as possible. I would like to have two samples of each year, from '56 back to verify accuracy.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My very original low mileage 5672A-1074 with matching engine has date 01-23-56 with 440275-A.
That's Jan twenty third of fifty six.

HOWEVER the BLOCK was painted green OVER the original IVORY it was painted. Explain that one!

Several months ago the -A and -B etc suffixes were discussed at length in another thread here. Owen contributed a great deal. Mostly realtive to VN's. If i remeber right, Owen indicated that the suffixes were not always reliable for identification. Hopefully he will correct me if i misinterpreted the thread at the time.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 17:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved