Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 193

Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1951 Chrome Steering Column?
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I was under the impression that all senior cars, 51 through 54, had chrome steering columns. Thought only the junior models had painted columns. Ran across an ebay listing for a 51 300 that had a painted column. The car was not restored and looked like it had sat for years out doors. I don't think, judging by the rest of the car, that the column was either changed with the wrong one or that someone had painted it.

Any comments??

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:44
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Chrome Steering Column?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had a 51 300 standard shift with a chrome column. I never saw any rhyme or reason to the cars with or without it??

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Sorry, I meant for this to show up in the Post-War Category.

Don't know if I can fix this.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I had a 51 300 standard shift with a chrome column. I never saw any rhyme or reason to the cars with or without it??

Until now this is the first 300 or up version that didn't have the chrome column that I've seen.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to parts manual 2402 & 06 with ultra must be the chrome as used the same shroud. Hard to tell on 2401 and 2501-2 models as a different part number from 2402-06 but shared between years--no mention of color though.

Not sure the rest of senior cars thru 54 had chrome and there were other colors available. 2506 says gray or brown but suppose maybe chrome too since I think they were all the same, construction wise. 2602 says green & 2606 had several grained colors.

54's just show one for ultra--no color mentioned. My Pacific was painted dash color so maybe they all might have been painted to match dash.

There were other options for the non ultra cars.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
I had always read that the extra cost of the Patrician during those years was mainly for an upgraded interior. It included the rear footrests and the chrome steering column. The 300-Cavalier had a more plebian interior like the 200-Clipper. You just got the longer wheelbase with the 300-Cavalier. Since the Patrician also came standard with Ultramatic it makes since that the only chrome covered columns were set up with the auto.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 9:21
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steering column in my 54 Patrician (w/Ultramatic) was painted dashboard color. Steering column in my 1950 Custom 8 sedan was chrome and with a chrome handbrake. Steering column in my 1948 Custom 8 sedan was brown, about the same brown as the base color of the woodgrain. All these cars were relatively young or at least unrestored and unmolested at the time.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
My later production 1951 Patrician has a painted steering column shroud. Other 1951's that I have seen were chromed.

Any 1952 Patricians that I have seen were painted.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The steering column of my 53 Cavalier is painted.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/12/22 20:30
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dave

It's my memory that the column in Russ' 23rd series Custom Eight is chrome too. I tried to buy it from his father, Nick, when he was still alive about 20 years ago but he wanted more money than I had at the time, which was basically none

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/12/22 23:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved