Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I'd like to be able to lock my doors, so.......
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
This winters project is to remove both front door handles (56 Patrician) and remove the lock cylinders so they can be rebuilt and rekeyed. I suspect I will then want to put everything back together....

I understand removing the spring piece and that it will probably need to be replaced. Are the clips on ebay (@ $50) the only realistic choice?

Is all I need to do pop off the handles and dig the lock parts out of the handle, or do I need to dissect the door?

The drivers door mechanism is stiff, possibly because it gets the most use. I do not understand what might need to be lubed or replaced for smoother operation. Currently takes a very firm push on the button to open the door.

I have the pictures from the parts book and the manual, but do not really "get" how it all works. If you have time to spell this out in simple detail, I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:05
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I'd like to be able to lock my doors, so.......
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the repro door handle clips are the only practical alternative as the old ones often break upon removal. But you might be lucky.

Assuming your problem is with the lock cylinder and handle, then yes, all you have to do is remove it. But if the problem is with the linkage within the door, then you may have to dig further. Still not much of a job either way assuming nothing is bent or broken.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will probably have to remove the bottom window stop and lower the glass past the lock if it will go that low or even remove it to get a fairly straight shot at the clip. At the very least, I would start right now and liberally use some PB Blaster or penetrating oil of your choice--particularly on the slide tracks at top and bottom before even thinking of removing--dose it a few times. Clip will undoubtedly be rusted but if soaked long enough, may come out without damage. Usually they won't pull out as the book shows without breaking but may if tapped with a long screwdriver from the end inside door. I don't know of anything but the repro clips and haven't kept up with prices.

Once you get the clips out, the handle will pull out and no further disassembly of door should be needed unless the catch assy itself is damaged. If the button is hard to push, could be lube but also could be the striker is adjusted a bit tight. Does the door close easily or do you have to force it a bit.

Once the handle is out, there is a small round tube like retainer with ears that fit into holes in the handle. That has to be manipulated a bit to clear the holes but once removed, lock and spring will slide out. There may be a collar held on via setscrew on the straight shaft which works the lock. Take measurement of where it is so it can go back in approx same place. Saves a bit of time on readjustment

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Another way to remove a stubborn door handle retainer is to remove the inner window surround, and then roll the window down all the way. This will give you a complete view of the retainer clip. Then you can "Manipulate" the retainer to get it loose. Enough soaking with PB from this angle, and some "gentle" persuasion, and you might be able to get the retainer clip to release without breaking.

The problem with the original ones is they are made of steel and they just rusted badly. The new ones are expensive, but will not rust.

Keep in mind every door uses a specific different clip. So dont mix them up.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 14:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"Once you get the clips out, the handle will pull out and no further disassembly of door should be needed unless the catch assy itself is damaged. If the button is hard to push, could be lube but also could be the striker is adjusted a bit tight. Does the door close easily or do you have to force it a bit."

Door closes like a bank vault. Just takes quite a bit more force to open than other doors.

What would you lube....and what would you use for lube? graphite?

As a ten thumbs person this should be an adventure.....

Thanks for the help. Don't hesitate to add additional comments on this!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 16:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have a catch assy handy but here is a picture of handle showing those parts. There is not much to lube on this part. S.M. suggests lubriplate on the moving parts of catch.

When you remove the handle, you will see a lever arrangement centered in the hole the metal piece from handle inserts into and collar pushes against. With door closed, push against that lever with a screwdriver or other tool and see if the door opens easier than with the pushbutton. If there is no difference, then possibly the striker is too tight or the catch assy is in need of alignment or service. If it does open easier, then when you reassemble the handle into door, move the collar just a slight bit closer to the catch lever.

When you disassemble the handle, suggest using some PB Blaster on the set screw on collar. Screw & collar are both steel and probably rusted. You may even have to use some heat on the collar. Whatever you do, make sure the allen wrench is new or in excellent condition with sharp edges on the hex so it will not slip inside the screw socket. If you strip that socket head, it will be extremely difficult to remove or adjust if needed.

The long metal piece will come off lock cylinder if necessary. It is a combination of press fit and a recessed center section. It may give you some trouble removing without damaging the pot metal ears on cylinder so be careful to back up the side opposite your press.

Attach file:

jpg  (188.31 KB)
209_4cc222a0e18f4.jpg 1500X1500 px

Posted on: 2010/10/22 18:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved