Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

camshaft
Just popping in
Just popping in

erwan stourm
See User information
Hi

I'm engine builder in France
and have some customers with Packards

I'm rebuilding a late 39 straight 6 245ci from
a convertible and I have a little problem on the
timing chain:
when I align the points on sprockets, i'll find
4? approx of retard....
is anybody can tell me the original camshaft diagram
to degree it well?

thanks
asap
Erwan
DENISE MOTOR SHOP
www.denisemotor.skyrock.com

Posted on: 2010/11/4 12:53
 Top  Print   

Re: camshaft
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a link to the service letter with complete 39 specshttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL12NO18.pdf I've copied the valve data for the 6cyl engine from that letter. Hope this is what you need. There was not a lot of detailed information published or that survived on many things.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.25 KB)
209_4cd2fc14f241b.jpg 512X891 px

Posted on: 2010/11/4 13:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Erwan,
to PackardInfo. Any possibility of seeing some pic's of your customers Packards?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 13:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

erwan stourm
See User information
Thanks for all

since I will get the car in the shop
I'll give som pics of the car

thanks
Erwan
www.denisemotor.skyrock.com

Posted on: 2010/11/5 3:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Hello Erwan,

Are the cam and crank sprockets and chain original or new old stock? If they are reproduction parts it is possible they may not match the original design.

I was able to find some information out of a 30's Motor's Manual for checking and setting the valve timing on '35 thru '37 Packard six's.

Possibly one of the other fellow members can advise you if this information is applicable to your '39.

1935, 36, and 37
Packard 120, 120B, 120C

Checking valve timing:

Exhaust valve should just close 5 degrees or two flywheel teeth after top center with tappet adjusted to .013 inch clearance. To check the valve timing, adjust No. 1 one exhaust valve tappet to .017 inch clearance and insert a .004 inch feeler gage between the tappet and stem. Turn flywheel until the feeler gage is tight and continue slowly until feeler is just released sufficiently to be removed by finger pull. Timing is correct if the pointer now registers with a mark 5 degrees after No. 1 UP DC mark on the flywheel.

Timing chain renew:

With No. 1 piston at TDC and No. 1 exhaust valve just closed, line up the sprockets, with the chain assembled, and slip them on the shafts. The timing marks should be nearest each other and in line with a straight edge placed across the centers of both shafts.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2010/11/5 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"With No. 1 piston at TDC and No. 1 exhaust valve just closed, line up the sprockets, with the chain assembled, and slip them on the shafts. The timing marks should be nearest each other and in line with a straight edge placed across the centers of both shafts."

I'm not familiar with the Packard streight 8. But what u described is positioning #1 piston at the END of the exhaust stroke, NOT the top of compression stroke ready to fire.

In most cases, aligning the timing marks closeest to each other is for TDC compression stroke of #1. Not TDC of exhaust stroke.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 20:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
PackardV8,

What I quoted was straight out of a '30's Motors Manual, in the Packard engine section.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2010/11/6 9:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved