Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt to 12 volt conversion
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I removed the pulley from the generator in my 1950. Can anyone tell me what alternator this pulley fill fit and/or now to alter the pulley to make it fit. This pulley has a key and I believe that alternators have tapered shafts.
Hopefully I am wrong. Anyone know about this ?
Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2010/12/26 19:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt conversion
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check my project blog, I go over installing a alternator in my '54. A standard GM 10SI alternator will work great. They are cheap and plentiful.

You will need to fab up a new lower bracket, the top Packard bracket can be reused with a spacer. I made a lower bracket out of a heavy duty piece of angle iron, some heavy duty L brackets, and a few bolts. It bolts to the block where the lower generator bracket bolted before.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.51 KB)
1_4d17e003a18df.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (176.73 KB)
1_4d17e03361a04.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/12/26 19:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I doubt you will be able to modify your generator pulley easily. Maybe a sleeve could be fabricated but pulley is awfully heavy and may not be the right diameter for alternator drive either.

Perhaps 5th avenue garagehttp://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/ or another similar alternator shop can help.

5th avenue's 3/4" pulley MIGHT be wide enough. They also have a download called the Alternator Gazette which gives some info on conversion.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.25 KB)
209_4d17e7c8e4e3f.jpg 289X215 px

Posted on: 2010/12/26 20:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Your local auto electric shop or rebuilder should be able to help. They all have a cardboard box full of old pulleys under the workbench. Just tell them what diameter, what belt, and what alternator you are using.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 0:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Thanks for the feedback. Like the base bracket good job.
Tough getting it right in the car. Thanks for the input abou the pulleys didn't know that.

OTG

Posted on: 2011/1/10 7:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I got a 6v alternator for my 50 (a place that specializes in converting 12v to 6v pos and neg ground) and he sold me the pully for i think $10 more. This place sells them for $23

http://store.alternatorparts.com/alternator-mounting-brackets-tractor-generator-alternator-conversion.aspx

Easier and better to get one made for the alternator rather than trying to rig a generator one.

There's also a cheap chrome mr gasket generator to alternator mount conversion that i see around for 5-20 bucks, i picked one up at a swap meet after i had made my mount, so i never got to try it. Can't seem to find a link.

I'll look up the alternator guy's info when i get into work.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 9:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Thanks for the link. I bolted the alternator to the top arm and found the bottom mount point was inline with the front of the engine. I added another arm like the top on the bottom and it aligns real well. Not real happy not having a solid bottom mount. This link will definitely help.

OTG

Posted on: 2011/1/21 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If you're saying that the thin alternator piece is on the bottom, and the thicker one lines up with the adjustment arm, yes, it will work and line up well. For a very small while until the small piece breaks off. Alternator has to be supported, thicker mount area, to the bottom to a solid mount.

I don't know if what i said makes sense, but basically, of the two mounting holes on the alternator, the thinner one can only be used for belt tensioning, it can't be the mount hole.

If it's not the base mount supporting hole, then you should be good to go!

Posted on: 2011/1/22 16:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
I know that you didn't ask, but:

Have you thought about a 12v generator? They are readily available and won't require any modifications other than a new voltage regulator.

I went through the evaluation of if I should convert my car and decided to keep it 6v after some advice from this forum. It is really true that there is nothing wrong with a properly operating 6v system.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 11:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved