Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

new power booster and master cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
First I would like to Thank bhappy and Graig with the Pather project for all the good advice. Moving the holes that 1/4 inch was perfect. I bought my 1953 Patrician about a year ago and first thing I did was go through the brakes. Had the Treadle-Vac rebuilt by Ed Strain (he is only 30 min from me)and after 1 month lost my brakes coming to a light, Lucky there was no traffic. I pumped brakes, took home and Ed rebuilt it again. Then Last month it happened again. That was it--No More. when on Packard site and read about Panther project and did the same thing. Only thing there are some different numbers
Dual Booster --BS1007D-----195.00
Remote Power Master cyl
MC1001PZK------------- 159.95
Push rod w/eye-Pr101------ 4.59
I did not use vacuum kit ,my hose went right into new booster and I did not use fitting because I had new lines made to go under master cylinder and come out passenger side to make connections there. The master cylinder did touch the frame. then after I finished my project I called Master Power to send back Hose kit and fittings and found out they do have another master cylinder that the lines come out the passenger side and is also 1 to 1-1/4" shorter . It is part MC1002PZK--189.98 I would use this one. Made my own brake pedal to keep it away from gas pedal. Thanks all

Attach file:

jpg  (71.39 KB)
1913_4d1298a623323.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (162.16 KB)
1913_4d1298bad85d6.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (184.90 KB)
1913_4d1298d694c5f.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (134.38 KB)
1913_4d12997ae938f.jpg 1600X1066 px

Posted on: 2010/12/22 19:34
 Top  Print   

Re: new power booster and master cylinder
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did Ed have any idea why it failed?

Posted on: 2010/12/22 19:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
No did not say anything Just rebuilt it and gave it back to me. Cost was $230.00. To change to all new was less then $450.00. I think its worth it to be safe.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 19:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Even though you gone with new setup. I would have Ed check his work if it failed after only 1 month. It could be telling to the nature of the fault.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 20:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Twice in one year is a bit much from a rebuilder who comes recommended. IMHO, this would be a good candidate for Fred's evaluation program and a second opinion since it had been repaired once already by the builder.

With your new arrangement, how high is the pedal off the floor and how much lower down the dash or floor did you have to move it from the original location?

Posted on: 2010/12/22 20:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
The pedal is 5" from the bottom of pedal to floor.It's 4" longer and Between the two pins is 1 1/2'

The first time it failed was 1 month.The next time I had a problem was 1 year later. Just finished new brakes this week.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
walkerman.

Will u give us some details about the BTV failure please????

Did the pedal sudennly go the floor with NO brake effect whatsoever????? After the one failure incident did the BTV recover and work ok thereafter????? Was there any fluid loss from the reservoir????

Anything. Anything. We're trying to figure this problem out.

edit: BTW, nice job on the conversion!!

Posted on: 2010/12/22 22:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Excellent job on the conversion! May you now have many carefree miles Packarding.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/12/23 1:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
The first time was about a month after the first rebuild, lost brakes completely, went straight to floor , I pumped them up and they worked again got it home and gave unit back and they rebuilt it again. Then I only had gone about 200 miles for the next year when I started having problems again. The brakes would be very hard and when stopped at a light the pedal would go to the floor the car would roll forward until I pumped them again. I was always worried that I would loose them again completely like the first time. No fluid loss at all.After the first loss, if it ever happens to you , from then on it's always in you mine at every stop --is it going to fail .

Posted on: 2010/12/23 6:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Results of a good, thorough post-mortem on that unit would really be great information.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 9:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved