Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear quarter panel trim removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi guys, In the process of prepping for paint. I got almost all of the trim off the car except a few pieces I wanted to ask about before breaking something.
1)The trim over the rear wheel arches... I was able to remove those 'stamped steel nuts' from inside the trunk and back seat, but I think there are 2 more attaching points circled in red in the picture. Do they just pull out?
2)Also the trim under the rear/side windows. Is that also just 'spring loaded' attached, or are there nuts on the inside?
3)Oh, and antenna removal? Use something to stick in the two holes of the chrome 'escutcheon' and twist I guess?
Thanks for any clues. -Tobs

Attach file:

jpg  (91.27 KB)
657_4d5180464fcf2.jpg 1381X697 px

jpg  (8.39 KB)
657_4d51812490554.jpg 301X332 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 12:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear quarter panel trim removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the proper antenna tool you can either buy or make a pin spanner wrench. They come in different sizes or some are adjustable. If the nut is not corroded on tightly, you can usually wrap several layers of masking or some other thick tape to cover it very well & protect the chrome. Gently take it off with adjustable pliers.

The belt molding usually has a combination of clips and nuts--mostly nuts if I remember. Take the inside molding above the package shelf off (a few screws) and see if there are nuts and clips like the ones shown. Below the side windows may be clips but I suspect at least one or two nuts.

Those two above the wheel arch are spring clips but I don't remember if they are the ordinary wire clip or the kind that press into a separate retainer which was pressed into the sheet metal. That type can be a pain to get out without bending the trim.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.61 KB)
209_4d518de501997.jpg 375X500 px

jpg  (14.55 KB)
209_4d518ded56f05.jpg 508X249 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 13:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the side trim uses a spring wire type clip when the back side is not accessible, and nut style clips when the backside is reachable. This is how my side trim was attached.

So it should pull out with some gentle persuasion. Use a large flat putty knife to carefully pry is out.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 14:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks for the responses! I soaked the antenna in 'caramba' the local penetrating oil here, and hope to get back to the car on the weekend.

Posted on: 2011/2/9 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
You guys were right on, all the trim came off, except the antenna, which got soaked some more with penetrating oil and I'll try again at another date.
Stainless Trim cleaned and put away in a safe place, all the small clips are soaking in metal-ready for a day of rust removal. A labor of love. But I miss driving a packard!

Posted on: 2011/2/20 12:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a wrench I made some years back for the antenna nuts. Simple to make, just a piece of 1/4 square aluminum stock, bent in an appropriate half-circle, and drilled for a hardened steel pin. Should take about 30 minutes to make one, if you're so inclined.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.56 KB)
177_4d6155090a866.jpg 488X1558 px

Posted on: 2011/2/20 12:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved