Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

56 Senior front shocks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The new Xref chart lists one front shock absorber for all TL cars, which I think is incorrect. Is there a current xref for a 56 (patrician in my case)?

Looked up the rear xref on amazon, who wants to upsell you to a "better" ride--at more cost. They also ask you to check compatibility and the list includes 56 patrician, which it does not fit. Would you figure they have no idea what fits a Packard, and would you upgrade?

Thinking of having the local guy change all my shocks. Beyond the obvious care in putting the car on a lift and turning TL off is there anything unique he needs to know?

EDIT: Went to amazon to get the number on the upsell and it didn't pop up. Who knows!

Posted on: 2011/2/27 13:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Senior front shocks?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1955 front shocks will fit a 1956 if you also get the adapter plates for the lower A-frame. Don't know how common these adapters are now, they used be available rather commonly. Some cars will be found that already have them installed.

I installed Gabriel gas-filled #45653 at the front on my 56 Carib some years back, quite satisfied. This shock mounts without the need for the adapter, i.e. it's an OEM substitute. Rears are Gabriel #82066 gas-filled.

PS - I think this topic has been discussed in detail previously, perhaps a search would be useful to you. Another interchange # for 1956 fronts is MAECO 6489700, though note there were several different OEM shocks, depending on whether Canadian & Export, conventional suspension, heavy duty torsion bars, etc. Details in the parts book under Group 13.000

Posted on: 2011/2/27 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I entered those numbers in google and found one germane reference---your post.

The panther project xref lists a number of interchanges for junior cars; none for seniors. He does comment that the shocks interchange physically, but the valving was different.

I don't doubt that this topic has been rehashed here before; searching 56 shocks did not turn it.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 14:19
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Owen,

Can you say a little more about "heavy duty" torsion bars?

Were they available in both '55 and '56 T/L Packards?

Are they identifiable from just looking or would you have to see the build sheet?

Is there a difference in the shocks for each type? ( Maybe one could tell what type of torsion bars they are by looking at the shocks that are installed.)

Maybe this stuff is posted elsewhere, but I've never seen it discussed on the forum, and this thread has the word "shocks" in it and may be helpful for folks looking for replacements.

Also, I wonder if ride and handling are affected by the "heavy duty" type torsion bars, and just what the reasoning was for having this option: Part of a towing package? If so, then other telltale signs of originally installed towing equipment such as a built in trailer light wiring and socket could be a giveaway on the torsion bars.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out bulletin 56T-1.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check the 56T-1 for info on the heavy duty (extra twist) torsion bars, why they were introduced, how to identify them, etc.

Heavy duty shocks were usually supplied as standard on export vehicles on the assumption that road quality might be inferior to that encoutered in the US. I suppose the expression "heavy duty" when applied to shocks could have several meanings, like "longer lasting" or, offering more resistance, perhaps both. Shocks offering more resistance don't necessarily improve the ride, that depends on the type of ride one desires. PS, Packard no doubt "tuned" the ride with different shocks for different chassis depending to what they perceived to be the best ride characteristics; otherwise they would have had a "one size fits all" position.

I think the chart from the 55/56 parts book attached will answer some of your other questions. Sorry for the poor quality, but the same parts book is available on-line here.

Attach file:

jpg  (226.41 KB)
177_4d6aba77e8530.jpg 1305X1374 px

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I thought the 9 degree long bars were made primarily for export. Friend Chris has A/C installed and both front links are the four-ring versions. He said the Patrician he took the A/C from, rode about one to one and a half inches higher all around. His Caribbean looks OK to me.
Rear shocks should have very close to ten inches of travel as that is how far the rear end will move up and down. If you can manually change the riding height, then before you install them, test the fit of the shock at low and high points to make sure that coming down or going up it won't cause damage at either mounting point.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I thought the 9 degree long bars were made primarily for export

Perhaps, but that's not the rationale given by Packard in the service bulletin.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 16:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
After trying a set of Delco "Big-D" heavy-duty front shocks in a Chevy Monza V8 decades ago, I'd never try H-D shocks in a Packard. The ride quality of the Big-Ds in that Monza bordered on abusive. It might have been different in a bit heavier car, but why even tempt fate?

Abotut he time that gas-charged shocks first became widely available through Sears, I installed a set on a '78 Malibu. They were just the improvment the car needed - that and a set of matched front and rear sway bars culled from same year Monte Carlo. That car might not have won any races, but it then rode and handled like a dream - in town, country and interstate driving. I still had the Monza (in storage) and those Big-Ds came off and went in the garbage in favor of a set gas-charged ones, all the way around, that Delco finally offered.

IMHO, gas-charged is the only way to go.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Go to the AACA Packard discussion forum and look at the Parts X-ref there for additional info. It is NOT in any particular order so u'll just have to look thru it.

Posted on: 2011/2/27 17:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved