Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Barn Find
Just popping in
Just popping in

pozpoz
See User information
Barn find // I recently came across a 1940 Packard 2door business mans coup, 120? /vin #13882989/stright 6/ 3 speed with 26 k org. miles. I dapple in buying and selling old cars but this is out of my usual scope. The pictures I have been sent show it in excellent shape, but they do not have an asking price. Any input or comments on value or marketability would be appreciated.
Thank you
Lyle

Posted on: 2011/4/11 13:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Barn Find
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A 1388 is indeed a 1940 "110", bottom of the line for Packard in 1940. But it's a very roadworthy car, good highway manners, and there's always a good demand for coupes. It would be the 989th 110 coupe built, total # of 110 coupes built is unknown. As to value, I doubt many would care to estimate without some pictures at the least, though there are value guides. I'll leave that to others - it's a topic I work hard at avoiding.

I'd be interested in knowing if the car has a "thief-proof" or firewall number? There should be two large embossed triangles on the engine side of the cowl, 1940 is unique in that in about 1/2 the cars there was a number stamped. If your has a #, I'd pleased if you supply it, and if it has just the triangles or end brackets with no number, that would be useful as well.

Many thanks.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 13:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pozpoz
See User information
Thank you for the much needed help// I have only seen pic's but it looked worth pursuing and has been stored most of its life but we all know until you stand in front of it... I will check for those #'s I am afarid it holds more sentimental value than its worth. Is there one or two things that I should look for? Where is the first place they start to rust out / what is the most common problem besides corrided lines and bad gas tanks? P.S. still has its orginal white wall tires on it. /// Chasing rust
Thanks -Lyle-

Posted on: 2011/4/11 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I seriously doubt it still has the original tires. A 1940 Packard with 26,000 miles would at least be on its second set of tires, maybe its third. One would be lucky to get 10,000 miles on a set of tires in those days. A car that has been stored most of its life could end up needing more work than one that was moderately driven. Buyer be aware. Maybe the barn has been salted.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pozpoz
See User information
Here are some pictures. Still seeking any information I can get. What have I found?

Attach file:

jpg  (123.97 KB)
3644_4dab0d59a3e87.jpg 922X692 px

jpg  (101.52 KB)
3644_4dab0d652e399.jpg 922X692 px

jpg  (60.79 KB)
3644_4dab0d6e3709d.jpg 922X692 px

jpg  (98.77 KB)
3644_4dab0d7702532.jpg 922X692 px

Posted on: 2011/4/17 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Lyle, this way please to the -->owners manual.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 11:11
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the photo of the blank spot for the thief-proof number. That's pretty consistent with all the reasonably early 1940 cars, the reason behind it still seeking an explanation but it's certainly suggestive of the cowls being formed and numbered in two distinct operations.

As to "what have I found", I believe that's already been answered as to model. Or were you seeking some other kind of information?

Posted on: 2011/4/17 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
pozpoz, Regardless of my earlier comments, this is a most attractive Packard. It should serve you well and give you many miles of enjoyable driving.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/17 13:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Nice looking buggy - then again I may be slightly bias.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 16:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pozpoz
See User information
Where do I start to find fair market value for this vehicle? Needs new home.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 16:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved