Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 160

kevinpackard, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Ultramatic leaking from the manual valve seal.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Can someone tell me what I need to do to stop fluid from leaking from the manual valve lever shaft that goes to the PB actuator control assembly. How do you get the shaft seal to stay tight. I've replaced it 3 times and it still leaks from the actuator shaft.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic leaking from the manual valve seal.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like you've got the incorrectly sized seal. Some folks might use gasket shellac on the seal exterior rim but even without that it should be a press-fit and not leak.

Other possibility is the shaft itself is damaged or not concentric with the seal bore.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Mine leaks too. But i havn't tried yet to replace it.
Does your car have push button or a lever??? What year is it.

What is the seal number u used???? Maybe need to use a Garlock seal. The Garlock is better for accomodating any slop or paly of the shaft it its bushings.

Really need more info to diagnose this problem.

Measure the bore of the trans that the seal presses into. inspect shaft (if possible) to see if it s grooved or worn or has any slop in it.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
I got the seal from Kanter (plate #35,3.577882, part #6470206. The seal just slides on the shaft without very much force needed. Is the seal suppose to lock in place or do I need to tap it so it'll seal itself?

Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
It's a '56 with pushbutton. Where can I get a Garlock seal? The seal number is 3.577882 on Plate #35. Seals came from Kanter. The only thing behind the seal is a flat washer. I'm installing the seal with the open end of it facing toward the inside of the tranny. I hope this is the right way.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is all of the old seal out of the housing bore? If the new seal just slides on, maybe not. On rebuilding, after the old seal is removed, they have you drive the new seal into the bore so there should be a bit of a press fit. If the old is out and new just slides on, then sounds like something is not the right size.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.29 KB)
209_4e5bf9c05baac.jpg 530X523 px

Posted on: 2011/8/29 15:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There is also another seal for the pushbutton units -
group 3131425, part # 6480730.
It is a ring that doesn't fit tight on the shaft, but fits snug just inside the tranny case and the small recess in the PB casting 3.314252 part # 6484420. It is sandwiched between the PB casting and the trans casting.
I would shellac the metal portion of the seal that slides on the tranny shaft even though I b*&^%d about that when I was rebuilding the Carib tranny.

Edit group number is 3.31425. Page 33 in my manual.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Hotrod:

Maybe this problem requires a new approach. I assume this leak is pretty severe, so perhaps better results may be had by using some of the old GM silicone seal maker. They used to use that stuff to make timing cover seals on Pontiacs.

Chrysler also has a sealer that cures when covered with transmission oil.

Rather than knocking yourself out buying seals this method might be quick and dirty enough for Eddlebrock himself.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 17:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Randy,what page and/or plate number is this part number locate in the Parts book? Do I shellac just the inside of the seal or just the flat side? Also, the other seal you mentioned seems to belong to tthe actuator/gearshift control assembly. Is there a seal there or is it inside the tranny casting? Can I use any kind of RTV sealant or does it have to be a special kind?

Posted on: 2011/8/29 23:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Thanks Tim, where do I buy this sealant? Besides knocking myself out buying seals, my back and neck are awfully tired of working under that car in my drive way. LOL

Posted on: 2011/8/29 23:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved