Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

gas tank error 52 /200
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
52 packard200 screw up!
I was under the car and noticed a fuel leak at the gas tank where a small pipe plug screws into a disc like structure .I put a spanner on the pipe plug and gave it a snug up spin and developed a healthy leak from the place where the disc attached to the tank .oops! I put a channel lock on the disc and tried to snug this and the leak got worse ! oops! now what? I put a bucket under the tank to drain it ,I figure the disc was not threaded and was placed in the tank to house the pipe plug thats the tank drain I have my fingers crossed for some JB weld around the disc when the tank is dry .Any Experience out there in packard-dom?? are new tanks available Ive filled my fuel filter with rusty crud and had to clean it out

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:36
 Top  Print   

Re: gas tank error 52 /200
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're not the first person to do that!

Personally I'd drop the tank and either have it professionally repaired, or take all proper safety precautions first and then repair with solder.

As to JB weld I don't know, but there are some specialized leak repair polymers sold specifically for use in gasoline situations and which (it's claimed) can actually be used on a wet leak. No experience with them however. For peace of mind though I think of this type of "fix" as something you might do temporarily on the road and not as a permanent fix.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Thanks! Ill look around for a new
,but for the roadside fix;which is the order of the day ,do you know if the disc thing pressed into the tank with a inner thread for the pipe plug or is it threaded into the tank ?Ill better attack it knowing ,its not mentioned inn the manual

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The plug screws into a threaded bung that is soldered/brazed into the tank. Usually what happens is the the plug rust welds itself to the bung, and when you try to tighten, or remove it breaks the solder that holds the bung to the tank. Not good.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hmm ,thanks ! that sounds like exactly what iv done .
I tried putting a needle nose vice grip on the bung to I could spin the drain plug and used a cheeter bar and a box wrench on the plug but its rusted solid! Looks like it had been wacked at some pint and theres a little hirline crack just below the drain plug and bung on the tank .
I jacked up the rear bumper to tip t he tank forward ,and put a bucket under the tank and will drain till dry ,I got some two part epoxy specifically made for fuel tanks at the auto supply . I guess since the drain plug is rusted solid in the bung anyway I could epoxy around the seam where the "bung" is attached to the tank ,over the hairline crack and where the plug is ,let it dry real good and hope it holds ,serves me right for fooling around under the car on a day off /I just installed a rechromed bumper and was doing some fiddling to prolong the fun when I spotted the leak ,now the days over and I have a new problem !
Have the tanks been reproduced by anyone? The filler tube is part of the tank so it looks like a big shipping box!

Posted on: 2011/11/16 18:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No repros and nothing aftermarket for other cars will just drop in. 51-56 tanks are the same and used are about the only option. Even a good used or gone thru tank price has gone up to the point that you might be just as well off to take yours and have it properly repaired. Since the bottom is not rusted out, a point in favor of repair. Many use the Renu process which restores to a just about new condition but the process is not cheap.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 19:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
ok thank you ;very helpfull ,Ill buy some time with the epoxy and look for a mechanic who can arrange a proprer re-do .The whole car was in really good shape so the restoration has been a snap the tank has only some surface rust on it

Posted on: 2011/11/16 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try some Seal-All ("GAS-OIL" on label of tube) in a YEllow tube with red letters. Available here in TN. at discount department stores like Freds and Dollar General Stores.

i USE IT. No mixing. Real easy to use. I never used it on gas tanks but i've used on alot of other things involving oil including sealed bearings for timing belts etc. Coolant leaks and come to think of it i did use on a tractor gas line that was seeping very little.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 20:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
two coats of epoxy have sealed the leak admirably ,no future tank draining, but at least Im back on the road ;I took the opurtunity to titanium heat wrap the part of the exhaust pipe where it turns south after the rear axel hump and goes right by the tank and under the tank so I dont get too warm gas

Posted on: 2011/11/21 13:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved