Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
266 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 266

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Turn signal flasher 1951 - 400
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Trefry
See User information
I am looking for either a source to buy a new/nos flasher or if anyone has a cross reference number for this flasher.

My old one is toast and the one that I bought at NAPA with the cross reference that they had does not want to work.

NAPA was #535 my original was/is P229D.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/9 16:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Turn signal flasher 1951 - 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brillman has a 6v 3 terminal but I think it's the same as the Napa.http://brillman.com/store/b-535-6-volt-3-pin-flasher.html Most of the other vintage car sites seem to be stocking the Bussman (Napa) 535 for their 6v 3 terminal applications also.

Yours just does not flash or another symptom? Are the bulbs, grounds and wiring all good & correct filament used on the dual filament bulbs. The original thermal type such as Napa's (535's) and Packards are very dependent on the proper resistance in the circuit.

The electronic type are more forgiving but harder to find. Here is one that claims to be electronic, has a wide input voltage and high amp capacity but at the price, I wonder what the limitations are or the quality.http://www.lightexports.com Click on flashers and the EF33W 6-15v electronic is toward bottom third of page.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 17:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Trefry
See User information
Thanks for the information. Right now I have driver side blinkers that flash too rapidly, nothing passenger side (front or rear) and the indicator light on the dash diplays right when the left and only lights are working. So other than that I have it all down perfectly...

I have 1154's in the sockets which according to the book are/should be correct. Brake lights and parking lights work too. I am going through all again to check grounds etc.

Thanks again.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/9 17:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the symptoms I wonder if the phenolic or fiber contact support in the switch has warped and is not making contact with some of the terminals. Here is an extraction showing what happens in the turn signal switch circuit.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/Turn%20Signal%20Extraction.pdf

Posted on: 2012/1/9 18:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Trefry
See User information
I think I will pull the switch tonight and see what I can see. I have a parts car that I can pull a switch from and see if that one works better.

Thanks again.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/9 18:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Here's my two cents worth. My electronics background tells me to check all the bulbs and their connections in their sockets. Sounds like many of the bulbs are not making connection. The turn signal switch in the steering collum is also suspect but the sockets would be where I would start. It's easier than pulling the wheel to gain access to the switch. Grounds and connections. Good luck.

Question did it work before the flasher went bad?? Does the old flasher do the same thing as the new one??

Posted on: 2012/1/11 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bobs51, I agree with you: start at the bulbs and work toward the switch.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/11 17:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Trefry
See User information
I have been gone for weeks, so sorry to those who replied.
The new flasher does not work at all, the old one is the only one that I can get anything at all to work. I am going to try as you suggested, the sockets were/are rusty and see what happens. Tonights fun was the new level of smoke coming from the oil filler, never a dull moment with a Packard.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/2/5 1:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved