Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil fill pipe on driver side of the engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hello everyone!
My '51 and '53 straight 8 engines have developed a loose and removable oil fill pipe (oil leaks there too). When I try to remove the cap, the cap and pipe come out as one unit.... I can pull them apart and reinsert the pipe easily... I was going to try and have the swedged end expanded to fit tighter, then I thought of JB Weld........Are there any other suggestions or comments on my two solutions.

Regards.....

Posted on: 2012/2/10 16:54
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil fill pipe on driver side of the engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You could stiple the end that goes into the crankcase and that should give a snug fit, though I wouldn't think a bit of JB Weld would hurt so long as none got into the crankcase.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, The condition is usually caused by trying to remove the breather using a screwing motion instead of lifting the cap off. I usually lightly "tin' the engine end of the pipe with solder. This increases the diameter of the filler and provides the required interference fit into the block. I would definitely not use a product such as J B Weld or silicone sealant, which could fragment and enter the oiling system. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/2/10 18:40
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good suggestions. Some of us have used a quick drying and hard setting Permatex brand product to affix the tube to the engine. One more word of caution: If your filler tube has a baffle on the end that goes into the engine, be careful to orient the baffle so that it prevents the oil from the crankcase from going up the tube.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/10 22:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
When replacing the filler pipe make sure you have the deflecting piece on the bottom of the tube facing the correct direction.

Fred D

Posted on: 2012/2/12 14:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved