Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A question about a seal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill
See User information
I need to replace the seal between the rear drive shaft and the differential . Please tell me I don't have to to drop the axle. I get a half dollar drop every time I drive the car.

Posted on: 2012/4/8 18:19
 Top  Print   

Re: A question about a seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I am no mechanic but my friend and I changed my pinion seal on my 56 by just dropping the driveshaft. Had to use an impact wrench in short bursts to remove and install the nut. A hand wrench just spun everything. Hopefully a real mechanic will chime in to help.

Posted on: 2012/4/8 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
IBUB,

I believe you are talking about replacing the pinion shaft seal. This is not a particularly difficult job, but extreme care must be taken to get the large nut re-installed to exactly were it was before removing. Note the position before removing and count, very carefully, the number of turns to remove the nut. Then screw the nut back on the very same number of turns to the exact position it was before removing. This is necessary to maintain the pre-load on the pinion bearings. Do it correctly and no problems; do it incorrectly, and you will be looking for a new differential. You do not need to drop the rear axle assembly to do this job. Good luck, and let us know how the job goes. I am no mechanic, but have read about doing this job on this site.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/9 12:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good instructions JW, unless you're fortunate to have a new crush sleeve available. There was one on eBay a few days ago.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear IBUB:

First make sure the unit is not over filled and then make sure the vent is not clogged.

I would also do a measured consumption check over time because when cars aren't driven these seals often start leaking and if your car leaks a half pint per year you may want to do something more worthwhile. I have also seen the differential housing bolts loose which is remedied by careful tightening and a little RTV applied externally after careful cleaning.

Replacing the seal is a standard in the car procedure, but there are different degrees of expertise that are applied. For example, in the flat rate chisel the skilled labor world they are not paid to do the job right so they don't. The parts are usually worn anyway so the oil stops leaking and somewhere down the road the rest of the car falls apart.

The correct way to address the repair is to pull both axles and record the "Turning Torque To Rotate" using a special inch pounds torque wrench. Next a special bar is required to hold the flange so that a hand wrench can be used to loosen the nut (which is not to be reused, but can't be replaced so you are going to reuse it anyway). You can mark the nut with panit to give you an idea of how to get it back to where it was originally, but that is not really necessary. After the flange is removed you can replace the seal.

As for assembly, the axle builders will tell you that impact wrenches will damage the unit. Period, end of story. Inside the unit is a collapsable spacer (unless you are working on a senior car which is different) that controls the amount of pinion bearing preload. When you reassemble the unit you want to get the nut back to where it was and then adjust the preload slightly to account for wear. So when you have the nut back to where you think was you should again check the Turning Torque To Rotate and if it is near to where it was initially tighten the nut further to increase it slightly (say 5 inch lbs). This may only require a half turn. But beware if the nut is overtightened the spacer will collapse and the pinion preload will be too high.

Usually nobody wants to hear about the time it takes to follow this procedure so they get the impact treatment.

Also, make sure to use Blue Threadlocker on that pinion nut.

How's that?

Posted on: 2012/4/9 16:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved