Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 241

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Engine rebuild Kit with Piston pins?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Anybody have experience with the engine rebuild kits from Kanter? Do they include wrist pins in the 'Pin fitted pistons' ?
Thanks guys.
Mike

Posted on: 2012/5/2 1:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine rebuild Kit with Piston pins?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Have used Kanter's and Terrell's stuff with good results. "Pin fitted" means that the pins come with the pistons.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 4:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Has the engine been disassembled yet for inspection???? i.e. disassembled to determine what piston and rod and main bearing oversizes/undersizes are needed????

Posted on: 2012/5/2 7:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Yes the Engine has already been taken apart and all is measured. all bearings will be standard, and pistons and Rings will be + .020.
Also new exhaust valves and ex guides will go in as well as 3 new lifters.
Was planning to get Kanters "M" Kit plus The few extras.
The Engine builder wanted to clean/Mill The 288 Head I gave him. So we are going to compare my 1954 327 Head with The 288 Head for cc and surface finish and use which one looks best.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Before you consider milling the head, don't forget to check for adequate clearance for the valve lift. Many a good head rendered useless by not measuring first.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Right, when he said he wanted to Mill The 288 head, I told him I would bring the 327 head and we can compare the two for compression ratio and surface finish. I will also ask him to be careful of valve/head clearance.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If upon disassembly and inspection there was no indication of leakage of any kind then there is no reason to mill the head unless it's for for more compression/hi-perf.

Also watch head gasket thickness compared to any oem or removed gasket. Not much u can do about if it is thicker. I've used plenty of them especialy on ohv engines but don't really like them. But it is nice to know whatu have when u get finished.

EDIT:
For that matter, how do u know or don't know that the head hasn't already been milled at least once, maybe twiced???

IF was running ok before and showed no signs of leakage then leave it alone!!. IF it ain't broke don't fix it just for "insurance".

Posted on: 2012/5/2 11:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Well, I pulled the trigger and have a 'master' rebuild kit on the way from New Jersey to Munich. Should be here in a week or two....They don't stock cyl head studs(so I was told), so I will try and pull one or two out of my spare block for use in the good block.

Any suggestions on how to get head studs out easily? Soak in penetrating oil for a few days and then 2 nuts on the stud and leverage?

Gutenacht.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 15:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
ARP should be able to provide you with new studs.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 15:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Good call with ARP!...Anybody know the dimensions? (nice to have a warm fuzzy feeling of help from the forum after shelling out a ton of euros for parts)
hmmm, cool racing parts on the clipper!

Posted on: 2012/5/2 16:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved