Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 91

Aiden, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Thinking of going with the 2, 6 volt Optimas in Series...advice ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Good morning to all ! While attending one of the Tech Seminar's in Salado this past April, the subject of 2, 6 volt batteries wired in series for better cranking power and dependability.

So....with that being said, I'm looking for tips, advice and how to so I can do it properly with out a whole lot of hassle.

I believe it was mentioned that 2, 6 volt optimas would fit together in the stock battery box......is that correct ?

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/6/1 7:30
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Re: Thinking of going with the 2, 6 volt Optimas in Series...advice ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Two 6-volt batteries in series give a 12-volt system - is that what you want? Two 6-volt batteries in parallel gives a 6-volt system with more cranking capacity. These cars certainly don't need either to be reliable. Seems a lot easier to just buy a decent single battery and correctly-sized cables. I've occasionaly seen dual Optima parallel installations for some really heavy engines, V12s or Duesenbergs, which is a bit more understandable as Optimas don't have the capacity that the better 6-volt batteries have, but again not necessary.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
I mis stated....parallel is what I meant. My reason for going to this setup is, a number of people swore by it for cranking these 327 9 mains, which is what I have, with the 288 head. I've used 2 different starters and it just seems slow to crank. Granted, these are orginal, un-rebuilt starters, but in listening to the owners that are running these setups, just seems a no brainer. I am not going in the direction of a spot on restoration, just a fun dependable driver that starts when I want it to with out begging and petting the dash talkin sweet to her....LOL

They've already nicknamed some of us Texan's as the "Patina Cowboys"......not my choice, mind you....LOL

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/6/1 8:14
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"I have, with the 288 head. I've used 2 different starters and it just seems slow to crank. Granted, these are orginal, un-rebuilt starters,"

Does the engine actualy start reasonably quick and without any other problems???
If u're expecting ANY 6v system of the pre1955 era to crank like modern day 12v honda civic then u're expecting too much and expecting something unnecessary.

ANY engine does not have to crank fast to start fast and reliably unless compression is very low.

As to whether or not the current 6v battery u plan to replace with the optima is suitable for your car i don't know. Maybe the currect 6v battery is not suitable. U make no mention of what IT is.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 9:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Begging, petting the dash, and talking sweet to your Packard is one of the joys of owning it. Do you have the proper size battery cables? I had a similar slow cranking problen with a 49 deluxe. I had a rebuilt starter, new battery, and new heavy duty battery cables but when the engine was warmed up it would crank very slowly. We had to push start it every time we stopped for fuel. That was a lot of stops from IL to TX. It turned out my heavy duty battery cables were not the proper size. Hope you get your Packard figured out and enjoy driving it. It never hurts to sweet talk your Packard. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/6/1 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My reason for going to this setup is, a number of people swore by it for cranking these 327 9 mains,

Go for it if you wish, but absolutely unnecessary and I'd bet there are other things on the car that could better benefit from the money you'll save. As Packard V8 says, it's not a matter of how fast it spins, it's how fast it starts. Just get a good large capacity 6-volt lead/acid battery, proper size cables (O gauge or larger), clean terminals, and a starter motor in good condition.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree with O_D, save your money and buy a proper size battery and cables.

I have a NAPA 7205 battery and 00 cables in my '47 Custom Clipper with the 9-main bearing 356 cu. in. engine, and the starter works just fine, hot or cold starting.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/1 10:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thank you all for the replies, inputs and advice.

I did install the proper cables because when I first got the car and I had these issues then, the cables were undersized.

I bought a new battery with a bigger cca but it did not change the outcome.

A new/ rebuilt starter is probably going to be the final fix to this dilema. It is and has been a "slow" cranking motor since day one but it always kicked off. It is just a matter of time when that happens.....LOL

I love my Packard and don't mind talkin pretty to her, it's the beggin part that keeps the shinxter tight.....LOL

Again...I appreciate all the info........

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/6/1 10:38
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Ditto me with the NAPA: I have the 7248 with 00 cables and no problems whatsoever on my Su8. In retrospect, I should have bought the 7205. Exact fit, but lower CCA, and my top hold down would fit with no mods.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 11:48
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My07Bobber, given that you have a good battery, connections and cables and assuming a good starter motor, if your car has good compression it should start within 2-4 revolutions of the motor. If not, the problem is elsewhere, almost certainly ignition or fuel.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 13:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved