Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ABOUT DISTRIBUTOR CAP FOR 1951 PACKARD
Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger
See User information
I have been on before about this car, I still cannot get it started. Does anyone out there have a picture of distributor cap, I need to see the firing order.
on the cap. It is a 8 cyl, L-Head. I am having trouble timing this car.
Thanks Roger

Posted on: 2008/5/7 8:09
 Top  Print   

Re: ABOUT DISTRIBUTOR CAP FOR 1951 PACKARD
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I don't think we have any AEA tune-up charts for that year here (yet), but have you looked at the 1951-54 Packard Service Manaual?

It's been scanned as a set of PDF files - free for you to download:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?4

Yet, you may not need to download the whole thing at once. The info you need may be in the Electrical, Engine, and Specifications sections.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Firing order is 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4, same as almost all Packard and other maker's straight eights except the 1st and 2nd series Packards. The AEA tuneup chart is on PAC's website if you don't locate it elsewhere. Distributor caps are readily available new from almost any decent auto parts store, though you may have to wait for the next delivery. You'll need to tell them whether it's Delco or Autolite.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 10:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger
See User information
Catalog information does not give a picture of the distributor cap showing the numbers. Is there any other place I could look for a picture?
Thanks again,
Roger

Posted on: 2008/5/8 9:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looked through what I have and just no decent pictures of cap. This is best I can do.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.63 KB)
209_482310cb6b0af.jpg 771X800 px

jpg  (34.09 KB)
209_482310d7be2b1.jpg 659X488 px

Posted on: 2008/5/8 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Wire placement on the cap was also illustrated in tune-up charts used in the aftermarket (gas stations, independent shops, etc.). We started a collection for AEA tune-up charts with a 1950 chart, and I donated same for 1955-56 Clipper and Packard models, but there hasn't been much help in filling in the missing years since. A friend across town is checking to see if he has any additional charts for Packards, but makes no guarantees.

Similar service info can be found in the collection of National Automotive Service Data files here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?59

Have you verified that the distributor is properly timed to the engine? If so, bring #1 cylinder up to TDC, and then look where the rotor points to. That'll tell you were to start with the firing order on the cap.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 9:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Current cap numbers: Echlin AL66 for Autolite, RR-100 for Delco. From Standard Ignition, AL97 for Autolite, and DR 196 for Delco.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 13:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Roger
See User information
Thank you for the pictures and information.
I hope it will work, I will keep you posted.
Thanks again for taking the time to send me this information.
Roger

Posted on: 2008/5/10 8:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved