Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

Don B, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Well gang, I finally got my '55 home. It was quite an adventure.
One of the first things I'm going to need is a battery because of the power windows. I've been searching the forum postings for the Group # and the search came back nada no matter how I phrased it. I've tried using batteries out of other cars I have (groups 24F and 27) but they just don't fit in the tray. It will have to be a "F" type no matter what due to the length of the ground cable.
What are all you '55 &'56 owners using and any recommendations as to Brand?
Thanks in advance,

Jim

Posted on: 2010/11/29 21:55
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a V8 battery discussion in another thread starting here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=29857#forumpost29857

Maybe of some help as there are suggestions on what needs to fit. It should be easy to get a slightly longer ground cable as long as the battery fits if that is the only holdup. Several make or have the braided ground in different lengths. Some have had issues with the original hold down clamp being a bit close to terminals.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 22:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
As far as size is concerned, Group 29 fits the 55-56 battery tray and is a top post style. I have bought mine at Wal-Mart for the last 10 years, although they seem to last about the warranty period (3 years), then you have to buy another one.

FWIW, the Wal-Mart PN about 10 years ago was 060538818482.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/29 22:19
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

It was recommended to me by a battery guy to install a semi truck battery. It has the same dimensions except for the height, it is about an inch higher, and the posts are in the center of the case instead of the corners. I have found it to be a superior substitute.

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/11/30 8:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looking for OEM appearance, I tried a couple of the boutique battery maker's version of the Group 60 in my 56 Carib. Though cosmetically they were correct I found them to give very short life, about 18 to 24 months. Since then I've used am Interstate Group 29, repainted in flat black and with a Willard decal. Fits the battery box acceptably and thus far has given good life, just into its 5th year.

Jerry's suggestion about a truck/bus commercial battery is probably worth looking into -- I've used for years a NAPA or Delco commercial truck/bus 6 volt battery in my 34 Packard and have always gotten 8 years or more from them. It's a very large 6-volt, NAPA 7212 or Delco 717A.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My latest 6v to 12v conversion leaves me with a very ugly bright white 12v battery installed. Sticks out like a sore thumb. As an alternative to painting it black i'm considering cutting a piece of tire inner tube to slip over the battery. I doubt that it will have any significant insulating effects to cause any overheating at all. The top of this battery is already black. Not sure what to do about some with red or green tops. Paint is about the only other option for the tops.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 9:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Is there a good name for 6 V Batteries ?
In today's world, it's so easy to get a 12 V battery charger, you know the type, a large box you just plug the battery into, I think 24 hours for full charge. Is there the same for a 6 V Battery ?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For the battery, there is a discussion herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4505&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 on 47 Clipper batteries which I believe would also work for the 48. Napa parts seems to carry a good one.

If you mean a charger, then there are several available for 6v. Most are a selectable 6/12v with different amp combination which are relatively small and along the lines you mention. Sears sell a couple of good ones. I have an older small 6/12 and a newer 6/12/24 large unit that can start a car. Schumacher is another good brand and I use their small maintenance unit.

Do a google search for 6 volt car battery charger and many will come up. The small low amp continuous "maintainer" units you can either mount permanently in the car and leave connected or carry out and connect as needed.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Gary Marshall wrote:
Is there a good name for 6 V Batteries ?
In today's world, it's so easy to get a 12 V battery charger, you know the type, a large box you just plug the battery into, I think 24 hours for full charge. Is there the same for a 6 V Battery ?

I have a Sears Craftsman battery charger. It will charge 6V and 12V batteries at 2A or 12A, and it has a 75A start feature. It can be used in a manual or automatic mode. Hope this helps.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/30 11:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Gary,
I can't make out if you are located on your oil rig, in the States or back in the UK.If you are in the UK there are companies that sell 6volt Batteries eg Lincon Batteries located in Rayleigh in Essex. I just recently bought a 6/12 battery charger from Draper tools Part# BC5 stock# 66802.
Do not buy a battery tender that you leave coupled to the car during lay up from the States as they will not work over here in the UK.
This is due to the difference in voltage and electrical cycle (herz). I have had two at different times connected to a correct step down transformer and both have gone wrong on their first charge.
I hope this helps with your quest.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2010/11/30 12:15
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved