Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 745 Shock Absorbers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

troys
See User information
1930 packard 745 super 8

How do you adjust shock absorbers?
What type of oil do you use?
How much?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  (84.56 KB)
3797_4e4abf15a0f87.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/8/16 14:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 745 Shock Absorbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
On the top of the shock there are two nuts, the smaller one is the fill and should have a copper crush washer under it. I would undo this one first and fill the unit with motorcycle fork oil. Do this with the shock free from the car because you want to get all of the bubbles out. Do this by filling it a bit and slowly moving the arm up and down to push air bubbles out. Once bubbles are out you can check the dampening setting by loosening the large locknut next to the filler. In the center of the large nut is the adjustment for rebound. Turn it CW until it stops, then back it off one and a half turns CCW for the Packard factory setting. Retighten the locknut to lock down this setting.

If you want to make adjustments to this setting at a later date then turning the adjuster screw CW will give you a tiffer ride and turning it CCW will give you a smoother ride. I would caution though that any adjustment should be very small, no more than 1/8 turn. It's a sensitive little valve.

I just went through this on my 733 and all my copper crush washers were ruined and leaking. There are more crush washer in the valve itself. Since you already have your shock off the car I would double check these before sticking it back on the car. I bought replacements through Mcmaster-Carr. Some of the info above is in the 1930 Packard owners manual which you can download elsewhere on this great website.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just an add-on to tfee's excellent write-up above. No need to restrict yourself to motorcycle fork oil; commercial hydraulic oils like Mobil DTE-24 (SAE 10) or DTE 25 (SAE 20) or regular hydraulic jack oil are also good choices.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It's nice that you have the correct shocks. Most 1930 Packards I see seem to have retrofitted with the 1931 shock absorber.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 7:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
If you have the shocks off the car, its a good idea to remove both bolts and flush them out with kerosene first.

You can tell if they are worn or not if there is play in the movement of the arm. ie. loose before it "catches" on the oil.

When filling the unit, initially have both bolts removed. Pour the oil into both holes and gently move the arm back and forth to expel the air. If you try to do it with the adjuster bolt still in, it takes longer and the oil is prone to squirting out of the hole.

Also, be aware that the lever must be fitted in exactly the right position. If you look carefully on the rear of the lever, there is a small mark which needs to line up with another mark on the spindle surround. This is important so that the movement is maximised about a centre point.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 2:36
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved