Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Starts..runs..then dies..
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1/4 inch of fuel in the carb bowl is a positive sign of fuel starvation. Fuel levels varied quite a bit by carb and application, but generally it should be within 1/2 inch of the top flange. Also a bit confused by the comment that these cars came with the pump in the tank - I don't believe that is true, sounds like someone's "improvement", which generally are not improvements.

Posted on: 2007/4/9 21:50
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

lee Belmonte
See User information
Would this apply also to a 37 straight 8, regarding the coil?
thx

Posted on: 2011/4/6 12:45
Lee
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very much so. Older coils and condensers have been frequent causes of intermittent problems as well as the feed wire inside the armored cable if you have one of those. Usually the symptom is it runs fine for a few minutes until coil heats up and then either quits completely or starts missing. When left to sit and then tried again, all is well for awhile and then problem repeats.

Another aggravating "intermittent" issue is ceramic fuel filters if you have one of those. They can plug with varnish yet appear clean to view. You can blow air thru them thinking they are clean but are still plugged enough to restrict adequate gas flow to carburetor. Car will idle OK and may do low speed but anything requiring more gas flow and engine is starved.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 12:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

lee Belmonte
See User information
Sounds like I need to get these parts sir, who do you recommend I get these and other parts at? Thanks much for your time.
Lee

Posted on: 2011/4/6 13:18
Lee
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

lee Belmonte
See User information
Also, what oil weight and other oil type for oil change and air filter change? This car has been sitting for 6 years and is in excellant condition. I wonder what else I need to change to avoid a breakdown on a 20 mile trip?

Thanks again Ambassador!

Posted on: 2011/4/6 13:23
Lee
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Flackmaster and others who specialize in those cars will probably be the best source of information on your questions. Flackmaster also has parts and of course, the regular Packard vendors Kanter Autohttp://www.kanter.com/packard/ and Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ along with packards1 (Patrician Industries) and Tucson Packards are excellent resources.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 13:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

lee Belmonte
See User information
Thanks Much Howard.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 13:52
Lee
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Lee,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your '37 Packard in the Packard Owners Registry.

Posted on: 2011/4/6 15:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Lee- I also own a '37 (115c), and I've found that my local Napa carries most of the tune-up parts, and even has them in stock! Part numbers are in the Packard Parts X-Ref tab, or your local NAPA might have it in their classic book- mine did.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/4/6 16:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved