Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Assembly of Sidemount Covers for 1936 Packard 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
pretty sure its all just friction that holds it all together, except the plate that holds the tire tight to the car.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 10:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Mine are all bias ply.... they should fit with no problem.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I’m jumping on to this very old thread with a question.

My dad put on reproduction 7x16 bias ply tires (Coker) before handing the car over to me. I have found that the sidemount covers seem VERY tight. It seems like the tires are slightly too wide.

The current tires are good for now to have a rolling chassis while I work on it, but will have to be replaced before driving.

I’m wondering what thoughts you all have about getting four 7x16 tires and two slightly narrower tires for the spares….maybe 6.5x16? Any experience with this?

Posted on: 2023/8/24 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I believe they normally fit tight. Also, older tires that have been mounted and inflated for several years may "grow" slightly over time.

You might try reducing the pressure in the spare tires to 20 PSI. That may give a little more clearance.

If the stems are acessible with the spare covers mounted, try deflating the tires to 5 PSI, then put the covers in place, then re-inflate to 28 PSI.

Posted on: 2023/8/24 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks. I'll experiment a bit with the tires I have now. I know I had seen another post a while back where someone mentioned using slightly narrower tires for the spares for this very reason. I can't seem to find that post again.

A post earlier in this string also mentioned that modern reproduction tires may not fit.

I'm just curious if the reproductions are slightly wider than the originals. As it is now, it is almost impossible to get the tread covers to overlap the side covers properly.

I'll try to follow up with some photos, but it may be the weekend before I can get to it....work keeps getting in the way!!

Posted on: 2023/8/24 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to this chart showing some specs on polyester bias ply tires there is a small difference in width but a fair difference in weight carrying ability between the two sizes. Also a slight mismatch in diameter. A few sites show those sizes as mostly a tractor and truck tire so if that is what is being used as a base for repros maybe more stiffening side plys could be the reason for a perceived wider width than the older originals.

The size differences would surely make the covers fit better and if you are going to keep the smaller tire in the sidemounts and only there as a never or very occasional use spare then a smaller size might work OK -- sort of like the ridiculous mini spares offered with modern cars but maybe without so many limited range and speed restrictions. If you plan on doing a periodic rotation and drive on them to keep wear even then maybe worth some more thought.

Posted on: 2023/8/24 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Thanks, Howard. That chart is really helpful. I think I'll stick with six 7x16s and try TxGoat's recommendation regarding the pressure.

Posted on: 2023/8/24 12:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
Having just installed new auburn radials I can feel your pain.I laid the tires bacside down on the ground and with difficulty and sore fingers and masking tape on the edges I started at one end and just wound the outer cover around carefully. the second one was much easier. the center cover plate is held in by the outer cover.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 12:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Getting the tires in and out of the side mounts without scratching your paint up is not for the faint of heart. It is better to treat those as ornamental and carry a AAA card.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 12:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I read somewhere 1935 service letters(?) that there is more than one size spare tire cover, or parts for the cover assembly. They look about the same, but have a letter or number stamped on them to distinguish one from another.

Posted on: 2023/9/1 13:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved