Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 28 »

Re: carforce number one
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Have to agree, it isn't a Model A front axle. In my enthusiasm got carried away, but still think it is a Ford front axle, maybe Model B('32) or later all of which have a larger "drop" than the A which was almost straight. I see the axle on the Packard retains the spring hanger mount of the Ford axle. Whatever it is, I doubt it's a Packard front axle. The pic attached, of an A front axle from Aussie eBay, shows how straight the A axle is and it also demonstrates fitment of fore and aft springs! The other pic, from this Blog on the AACA Site, shows the "drop" in the B('32) axle.
Although veering it's not quite, because we are discussing a Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.22 KB)
226_51c52d5d8fcb0.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (41.28 KB)
226_51c52d6a705df.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2013/6/21 23:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I haven't read most of this discussion yet, but the axle in the above pic of the Packard looks like a Model A Ford piece to me... I don't have a pic to post for comparison, but I'm looking at the axle for my '28/'29 Tudor right now. At the very least, a dead give away is the boss for the spring perch. I don't know what a Packard axle would look like but I would imagine it has spring pads cast/forged into it.

Oz, thats really interesting that the axle you posted as parallel springs.. I can't really tell from the pic, is it for sure a Ford axle?

Posted on: 2013/6/22 2:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day fory,

Here's the eBay listing. Has a little less than 2 & 1/2 days to run so, because the link will expire at some stage after that, here's part of the text description:
"Up for auction is A Model Ford front i beam axle, hubs, wheels, etc.

The leaf springs are unknown and this setup has been used as a trailer or a buggy spring type setup for towing.

The wheel are good and solid. Tyres are no good.

Axle is good. Its been fixed somehow and spring pad bolts have been cut. see photos.

Can be torn apart and reworked for a project, or throw it straight the garden for an ornament
."

Posted on: 2013/6/22 8:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, I was thinking it was not a Ford axle because of the way the springs were fastened. Now I see the perch for the transverse spring. Interesting, very interesting...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/23 14:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, John & Fory, thank you for the interesting excursion. Today a young lady will do us the honor of socializing with a Packard (philosophically speaking). It was 60 years ago ...

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted on: 2013/6/27 18:46
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

"1939 Packard super eight, model 1705, seventeenth series, 8-cylinder, 130-horsepower, 148-inch wheelbase, 7-person touring sedan/limousine (body type #1271/0), car #4. Reception parade for King George VI & Queen Elizabeth's state visit to Canada, spring 1939, Montreal."

"Packard eight, seventeenth series, model 1702, 8-cylinder, 120-horsepower, 148-inch wheelbase, 7-person touring limousine (body type #1290), note Packard deluxe emblem, fender wells, 6-wheels, wheel trim beauty rings, sixteenth series tail lamp with reflector, second car in reception parade for King George VI & Queen Elizabeth, state visit to Canada, spring 1939 Montreal."

"Packard eight, sixteenth series, model 1602, 8-cylinder, 120-horsepower, 148-inch wheelbase, 7-person touring limousine (body type #1191), note pelican emblem, license plate frame, non-standard bumper guards, fender wells, 6-wheels, wheel trim beauty rings, deluxe steering wheel, twelfth car in reception parade for King George VI & Queen Elizabeth, state visit to Canada, spring 1939 Montreal."

[pictures source: Photos courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.]

Posted on: 2013/7/1 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"Packard 526, fifth series six (produced 7/1/1927-8/1/1928), 6-cylinder, 81-horsepower, 126-inch wheelbase, 5-person sedan (body style #323), special armored car for Chiang Kai-Shek, Chinese war lord who was elected President of China in November 1928, this car is fitted with two rear seats over the fenders and two sets of handgrips so that six fully armed soldiers may accompany the General wherever he goes, this car is to be used in Ningpo where the alley like streets must be widened & straightened to accommodate it, right hand drive."

[picture source: Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.]

Posted on: 2013/7/20 4:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
"Packard 640, custom eight, sixth series, 8-cylinder, 106-horsepower, 140.5-inch wheelbase, 7-person touring car (body type #340), Z.H., sultan of Koeta Pinang (Dutch East Indies)"

[picture source: Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.]

Attach file:

jpg  (50.29 KB)
757_51f6e390c1052.jpg 720X576 px

Posted on: 2013/7/29 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I've found an interesting ad on Amazon. The royal affinity to Packard could have had a certain influence on Marshal Tito to collect them.

"This is an original 1931 color print ad for Packard automobiles. This particular ad features an image of a street in Yugoslavia. This ad also boasts of a royal warrant that The Royal Court of King Alexander I owns twenty Packard cars.

A royal warrant is an authorized issue by Royalty, which allows a company to advertise the royal endorsement, thus conveying prestige to the business. Such warrants have been in existence for centuries.

This piece was illustrated by Cole, Fred. Artist signature in print - bottom left of image."

[source: Amazon] Click to enlarge.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.08 KB)
757_524b12a433bc0.jpg 902X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/10/1 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The Yugoslavian monarch was besotted with Packard's. The second picture shows him in the car of King Boris of Bulgaria.

pictures sources
#1 - ebay
#2 - www.skyscrapercity.com

Attach file:

jpg  (42.34 KB)
757_526dd4984ba14.jpg 720X576 px

jpg  (56.41 KB)
757_526dd4ae411f4.jpg 1000X642 px

Posted on: 2013/10/27 22:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved