Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 91

Packard Don, PennyPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 114 115 116 (117) 118 119 120 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Mal,

I believe that the water pump pulley for the 356 should be black rather than engine color.
Others may be able to confirm this.

Brian

Posted on: 2012/6/29 13:39

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BDeB wrote:Mal, I believe that the water pump pulley for the 356 should be black rather than engine color.
Others may be able to confirm this.Brian

Brian,
While it's for that, I really didn't need to hear it! Reason being Noel, is a Concours judge, and seeing here comes the judge I'll be getting the paintbrush out again real soon!
As I said !

Posted on: 2012/6/29 15:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 2nd July 2012

A day spent cleaning parts and painting some of same, well it was for me. Started by cleaning the springs, cups, end nuts and covers for the steering connecting rod. While I was doing that Wade swapped the trans mounts on the 356 side for side, positioned the engine crane(with a little help) hoisted the 356 and positioned it in the chassis. Wade also mounted the starter, oil filter, oil filler and road draft tube. By this time I was preparing another set of wind chimes and as I was advised by BDeB "...the water pump pulley for the 356 should be black..." too. Just as I was doing that who should arrive but Noel. Noel was delivering more parts, then conferring with Wade as to what else was required, going over to Les's and returning with still more parts. During this we were graced by a visit from Noel's friend Tony, who also has some of the '41's parts. Among the parts Tony delivered were the bracket to bolt the triple horns to the head and the fan. The bracket was painted but the fan wasn't. Tony said he'd "chemically" cleaned the fan but hadn't yet blasted it and for which Noel had kindly volunteered my services. So that's what I started doing while Wade, Noel and Tony talked amongst themselves. That was fine except the bl**dy blaster wasn't bl**dy blasting! Well it was, but in a very limited way. So I was making very slow progress with a five bladed fan that only just fitted in the cabinet, which is a bench top model. With Noel's departure enlisted Wade's assistance and, while I turned to the wire wheel in frustration, Wade unplugged the blockage in the blasting cabinet pistol's barrel. Not the ceramic tip which is easy enough to clear, even I can do that, but the barrel itself. There was quite a collection of debris blocking efficient operation which on removal returned the blasting cabinet to its position as an ally rather than an opponent. Upon the return to normal service finished the fan and commenced painting.

Had almost finished that when Noel returned together with the "still more parts", included in which was a fuel tank. Little story in that in itself. The '41's tank had been beyond repair and Peter Packard had donated a '39 tank to the cause with Tony then reworking the '39 tank to fit the '41! At this stage I was doing touch ups on the '41 chassis and also a myriad of bolts and nuts on the chassis which hadn't been painted. I was held up a little because Wade was in the way of accessing some of them. Someone (Noel?) had painted the chassis and the front engine stabiliser mount holes needed cleaning out. So for this it can't be all my fault, can it? Also included in the parts were the front sway bar, tailshaft, rear sway bar and shock, and the pedal assembly. By this time Wade had finished his re-tapping exercise, so I was able to complete the touch ups. Then when Noel left I started on the tailshaft by removing the tape protecting the uni-joint trunnions from being painted. Then moved on to the uni-joint caps, they hadn't been painted, were dirty and required a good clean. While I was doing that Wade was working on the pedal assembly, also taking pictures while dissembling it. While generally similar to other Packard pedal units Wade is familiar with it is different and wants to make sure it goes back together the way it came apart. Plus Wade didn't have the benefit of removing it from the chassis himself. Finishing the uni-joint caps moved onto the pedal unit hardware being the bracket and the pedals themselves. One item of note, the clutch pedal has two rows of roller bearings while the brake just runs steel to steel. Included in the pic's are a sample of pic's of things Noel asked me to take and is then forwarding to the Flackmaster.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.29 KB)
226_4ff1648c3719d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.48 KB)
226_4ff164a01bb79.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.96 KB)
226_4ff164b7001e3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.68 KB)
226_4ff164cb3c21f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.90 KB)
226_4ff164e13e8f9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.35 KB)
226_4ff164f5d4aa2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.23 KB)
226_4ff1650749328.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.40 KB)
226_4ff16521e6b14.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/2 4:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Would you prefer Used or New/NOS?
(Coil Bracket is Hollingsworth repro which allows for coil replacement)

Attach file:

jpg  (57.05 KB)
439_4ff213e5b442c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (69.84 KB)
439_4ff213f46ef7d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/2 16:36

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
flackmaster wrote:Would you prefer Used or New/NOS?...

Over to you Noel. But probably a good move to run things past Wade first.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 19:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 4th July 2012

Although it's Independence day wasn't able to observe it, instead had the grand-daughters in the morning then it was off to the workshop in the afternoon. There I found Wade had affixed repro tags to the 356's starter and generator and was working on doing the same for the distributor. Leaving Wade to that, which included dissembling the distributor in order to remove the old tag, I cleaned more parts. During the midst of my cleaning however, I became a riveter! Seems Wade didn't have enough hands to hold the distributor body, position a punch on a rivet and swing a hammer all at the same time. So that's where I came in, swinging the hammer. Luckily it only took one blow for each rivet because, with a nickname of "Lightning", my hammer swinging never hits the same place twice!

With parts cleaned, tags attached, Wade and I then turned to the intake/exhaust manifold mounting surface on the 356's block. Noel had done such a good job of painting the engine he painted over this surface so, using the new gaskets as a template, the surface was marked and scraping began. But, at this point, we were interrupted by the arrival of Snapey. Matt arrived with Wade's spare engine in a box trailer. When Matt had purchased and picked up the spare '34 rolling chassis from Wade, as the basis of his Racing Biposto, part of the deal was that the engine wasn't part of it and it would be returned in due course. Also part of the deal was that when returned it would be mounted on a wheeled frame so it could be stored upright and be mobile. Thus with Big Red's block now cactus, and uncertainty about the two other blocks sent to Tamworth for inspection, Wade contacted Matt recently resulting in the spare engines arrival today. And a fine stand it's on too, looks like Matt knows what's what when it comes to engineering. Hope so, because today he was talking about the swiss cheese treatment he has lined up for the Biposto's chassis in due course. It is to be noted that when Matt's Dad saw the chassis he commented about it being trucklike!

Following Matt's departure finished the scraping but couldn't mount the manifolds because nuts for the manifold studs were in short supply, so short we didn't have. Instead, tomorrow morning, I will travel via Lee Bros and pick those up as well as a few other fasteners for the 356 and for Big Red. Also had word from Noel yesterday that The Flackmaster is sourcing the missing parts from the pictures earlier this week. And speaking of Noel, he's booked me and my Coupe to transport him and friend Tony to Vintage Motor Garage on the Central Coast, about 65 kms north, on Wednesday next week. Couple of reasons for doing so, the main one being that Noel has a piece of trim he needs to be made for his '41 160 Coupe. Oh, and Tony wants a ride in the Coupe and I'm more than happy to oblige such a request. The others? Taking up a new Optima battery for PhilfromTassie's '26 333 6 Cyl Sedan Limousine which is undergoing restoration there as well as check on it's progress. See pic's of Phil's Packard undergoing restoration by clicking on "projects" on the VMG Home Page. Plus to generally have a look around and see what they are doing at the moment, always worthwhile.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.04 KB)
226_4ff3f050e2955.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.19 KB)
226_4ff3f06499c88.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.80 KB)
226_4ff3f077755a9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.53 KB)
226_4ff3f083caee8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.34 KB)
226_4ff3f0b16b334.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.61 KB)
226_4ff3f0ca868dd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.28 KB)
226_4ff3f0e07096a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.82 KB)
226_4ff3f0f3df59d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (39.32 KB)
226_4ff3f10d5b48f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.28 KB)
226_4ff3f1217f61f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.69 KB)
226_4ff3f130456d0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/7/4 2:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1934 Eight engine must have been in the hands of the "unknowing" at some point in time, the air scupper on the top of the generator is mounted backwards. The forced air inlet for generator cooling is the scupper in the brush cover at the lower rear, the upper one is the outlet and the opening must face rearwards.

There isn't much correct in this picture except the positioning of the cooling scuppers. (original source of this photo unknown.)

Attach file:

jpg  (61.79 KB)
177_4ff43f1da973a.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/7/4 7:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wades_shed
See User information
Hi David, Thanks for your help with Noels car. It is not so much the flexible mounting that we need. It is the bracket or whatever that holds the mufler to the mounting. As I didn't take this car apart I have no idea what it looks like. Wade

Posted on: 2012/7/4 8:27

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Oh....348124, support bracket assy. I don't think I have (yet) by number, therefore this posting shall serve as a request for a photo of this bracket, and suggested availability/sources please. 40-42 160/180 except 148"wb cars. Anybody got an extra?

Posted on: 2012/7/4 9:27

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 5th July 2012

Picked up the nuts and bolts from Lee Bros then, on return to the workshop, discovered I was 9 nuts short. Sounds a little painful but I assure you it isn't, just embarrassing. But, not to worry, later still Wade discovered a need for still more bolts so another trip late in the morning procured all the required fasteners. In between Lee Bros trips, managed to string up another set of wind chimes with pedals, brackets, nuts, bolts, washers, rods, etc and painted those. And Noel, you'll be pleased to know, the blue vacuum advance unit did not escape the paintbrush this time. But, the rear stabiliser bar and attached shock absorber did. Asked Wade if there was anything else to paint, with an answer of no, only for Wade to trip over the bar and shock while I was at Lee Bros second time around!

While I was stringing up and painting Wade was looking to hook up the hand brake cables and mount the equaliser to the chassis. But first he had to manufacture or conjure up some parts for the equaliser because of a parts deficit. Managed to find something to suit but then came the cruncher, the hand brake cables aren't long enough! Or is it that they are too short? Whatever it is, I believe Wade will contact Noel about this. The other thing Wade was working on was disassembling and cleaning the mechanism for the column change that mounts with the pedals. Different to the 120's more complex and better engineered but it looks like it's had a hard life so that too will be on the agenda Noel.

Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:...the air scupper on the top of the generator is mounted backwards. The forced air inlet for generator cooling is the scupper in the brush cover at the lower rear, the upper one is the outlet and the opening must face rearwards...
Dave,

Pic below shows the scupper mounted on The Fossil, correctly! And I've certainly learnt something from your comment. Didn't know there was an inlet in the brush cover at the rear, just thought the scupper was like a breather rather than providing an outlet for the exit of cooling air.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.04 KB)
226_4ff514dc2aa9d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.22 KB)
226_4ff5151b5aea9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.17 KB)
226_4ff51531defbf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.98 KB)
226_4ff5155bd7d96.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.89 KB)
226_4ff51576c2273.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.48 KB)
226_4ff515950fc06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.30 KB)
226_4ff515a2a7845.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.31 KB)
226_4ff515bbb04e5.jpg 720X506 px

Posted on: 2012/7/4 23:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 114 115 116 (117) 118 119 120 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved