Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

Phat Jonny, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 122 123 124 (125) 126 127 128 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 5th September 2012

First up at the workshop was assisting Wade with pressing in the right upper front suspension bush into the wheel support assembly. Wade had removed the wheel support assembly on Monday, after I'd departed, with the come-a-long technique successfully used on the left front suspension a while back. Had pressed out the old chewed up simple rubber bushes and was replacing those with metal cased bushes. Bush pressed in, turned to reassembling the right front suspension on Big Red. During the course of this we were joined by John, aka Wheels, and his wife Eve. They were in Sydney to attend a funeral and had dropped in for some Packard catch up. At least I now know I have one critical reader of this Blog, don't I John? I was berated for including toooo many Morris Minor mentions and pictures in a Packard Blog. As well, John bemoaned the fact it wasn't Tuesday which is lunch day at the workshop. Sorry John, can't do anything about the deceased being buried on a Wednesday all I can say it was rather inconsiderate, wasn't it? Regarding the Morris Minors, I don't have any particular affection for them but because in the last few years the runs we've attended with the Morris Minor Picnic Club have come into closer contact with them than previously, that must have influenced me to some extent. And there's this little insight into John's, shall we say, contempt for Morris Minors. When out on a mixed club run the Morris Minors tend to convoy together and John takes great delight in rounding them up in his Packard when flying past while overtaking. John, I will heed your counsel though and try and limit the number of MM pictures from now on!

With the departure of Wheels and Eve, after a coffee and hot chocolate respectively so they weren't turned back onto the street without some sort of Workshop sustenance, completed the right front suspension reassembly. Then turned to the left front to do the same repair. Connected up the come-a-long and compressed the spring, it's relatively easy once the technique is known. Removed the brake drum and backing plate and the upper suspension bolt. Then drove out the support arm lock pin holding in the support arm pin then drove out the support arm pin. Onto the press and pushed out the old bush then pressed in the new one. Back to Big Red and reassembled the wheel support assembly into Big Red. During the course of this we were joined by Big Bad Barry and his wife Pam. They were there to pickup the radio that Wade had rebuilt for Pam's '62 Ford Falcon.

Left things at that point because tomorrow Wade is off to Tamworth with the new pistons for Big Red, some other items as well as the frame/stand to mount the engine on for transportation back to Sydney when it's fit for travel. Likewise I too am heading off, but in a different direction. Together with my wife Kath, we're driving to Adelaide, to visit our eldest son and his wife for the weekend.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.34 KB)
226_504712e2d75d0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.32 KB)
226_504712f71a1dd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.69 KB)
226_5047130991ee1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.74 KB)
226_5047131596efa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.00 KB)
226_5047132a6a37d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.36 KB)
226_5047133c8d50e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.49 KB)
226_50471350efaa0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.21 KB)
226_5047137d4efa2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.48 KB)
226_504714d8d9f54.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.10 KB)
226_5047154870634.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.62 KB)
226_5047155d28565.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (186.39 KB)
226_5047158bb9932.jpg 1280X988 px

Posted on: 2012/9/5 4:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 12th September 2012

Arrived back from Adelaide last night to two Packard related items. 1) An email from Noel, saying in part "...the parts arrived...yesterday afternoon. 17 days transit time. Fuel pump is gorgeous. The metal lower radiator hose connection is NOS but with a bit of surface rust so will probably need painting inside and out...." And, 2) A package from US eBay containing parts for Wade. Those things together conspired to send me to the workshop today, well, that's my excuse!

But while in Adelaide had the good fortune, by chance, to meet another Packard owner. With my son and his wife, we visited the National Motor Museum at Birdwood. Speaking to the lady at the front desk about the museums Packards I learnt she and her husband have a pair of Packards, a '26 433 and a '28 533, ex wedding cars. She even offered us the opportunity to see them on our return trip from the museum but the logistics of that didn't work out. Instead she's going to forward me some pic's in the near future which I'll post here. For my part I introduced myself as Secretary of PACA and invited the lady and her husband to rejoin the club after learning they were former members and had let their membership lapse.

Back to the workshop. Saw a row of three 320 blocks on my arrival, the fruits of Wade's trip to Tamworth over the weekend, these blocks aren't required for the rebuild. Wade had taken up the head, manifolds, new pistons and other parts for the rebuilder but not piston rings. Of course these arrived the day he returned from Tamworth so they were mailed up yesterday. Next Tamworth trip should see the return of a rebuilt 320 block and crankcase assembly ready for re-installation into Big Red.

Back to Noel's parts, as he said "Fuel pump is gorgeous" but needs the inlet and outlet fittings so Noel has been dispatched to relieve the pump returned to Les of those accoutrements. And besides his email comment regarding the lower radiator hose connection of "will probably need painting inside and out" has already worded Wade up for me to splash the paint around. Thanks Noel! Then in addition to Wade receiving the rings for the 320, among other parts were the seals for Noel's steering box and a new water jacket cover for Big Red. The old girl won't know herself with all this attention she's getting. And the parcel I brought down? A pair of Trippe Light brackets for The Fossil.

While in Tamworth Wade also accepted a commission from Barry Smith, on my behalf, to pick up the fittings that hold the "bottle opener" trim pieces to Packard rear mudguards(fenders) from Restoration Specialities while I'm at Hershey. Thanks Wade and Barry! However to aid me in my quest Barry has provided 1) A 2011 Hershey Program(all 124 pages of it), 2) Photocopies of the cover and relevant page from the Restoration Specialities Catalogue and, 3) And entrusted me with a lovely "bottle opener", so I can trial fit the fastener required! Am I well prepared or what? While I think of it I'll also be visiting the Ficken Wiper Service stand at Hershey with The Fossil's wiper motors in hand to 'drop them off for a rebuild'. And no, a next day turn around service is not expected. Would be nice but the realities of rebuilding do intrude into a wonderful pipedream. The poor little wiper motors will follow me back home to Oz and The Fossil by airmail at a later date.

Finally Noel I won't be able to do the decals this week, not enough time today and I won't be back in till next week. But, be assured, besides the painting I'll make time for the decals.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.26 KB)
226_50502f210129a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.34 KB)
226_50502f655eddc.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (15.54 KB)
226_50502f8368330.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (14.59 KB)
226_50502f8de7fe5.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (17.13 KB)
226_50502fb09bade.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (11.18 KB)
226_50502fbf9443f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (16.94 KB)
226_50502fcfb4683.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.59 KB)
226_50502fde24446.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.42 KB)
226_50502feb6e211.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/12 1:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 14th September 2012

After donating blood plasma dropped into the workshop to pick up the keys for my Coupe. I'd left the keys with Wade last week before I went to Adelaide in case he decided to go on the Morris Minor Picnic Club run, he didn't. Thought, seeing I intended to take the Coupe to the Burwood Festival Show & Shine on Sunday, that the keys would come in handy.

While there learnt:

1) The dual point distributor plate kit with modern points from Max had arrived and been fitted to the '33. Running on all eight now but Wade wants to get the car into the workshop so he can synchronize them.

2) Noel had dropped in a fuel pump with fittings but not all of them are the right fittings! The 356 fuel pump saga just goes on and on and on and on.

3) I've been given another task by Wade while I'm at Hershey. Locate and purchase a pair of Trippe Light bracket bolts. The brackets I pictured in my previous post will fit The Fossil but need longer bolts!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.92 KB)
226_50529af29c268.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.45 KB)
226_50529b4d1c65f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.92 KB)
226_50529b638848e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/13 21:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 17th September 2012

After suffering at the hands of my Packard yesterday it was a relief to take refuge in the workshop today. Maybe I should rephrase that, as I'm being grossly unfair to the Coupe. Instead, I'll say that in a contest between my head and a boot(trunk) lid corner my head lost! At the Burwood Spring Festival yesterday instead of carefully extracting the folding furniture from the boot(trunk) I dived in with disastrous consequences, see this album! Luckily, besides bleeding extensively, no major damage was done to either head or Packard and fortunately St John Ambulance were on hand to patch me up.

Safe today in the confines of the workshop turned instead to something that usually doesn't cause me much pain, painting! After a session in the blasting cabinet painted Noel's lower radiator tube as well as the steering box parts. And Noel, I'm sad to report that, like the Henry Ford saying of "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black" your lower radiator tube is now black! The '33 was also started up but still needs to have the points synchronized. There are also issues with the carb and all these will be addressed once it's in the workshop. Speaking of which, Wade has mounted the one year only fuel pump on the 356 so it's ready to fire up! Also saw the wiring harness for Noel's Coupe, doesn't look pretty. With most of the connectors cut off doesn't have much going for it. Cleaned up the fuel and vacuum line fittings, after Wade had cut them off the old lines, in preparation for the new fuel line and vacuum lines required for Noel's chassis. Once the chassis is running it'll be off to Quikfit Mufflers at Gladesville for Tony to tweak the exhaust system. Then it'll probably be placed in storage in my garage at least until Noel returns from HIS Hershey trip. Wade rang Hills Radiator Service about Big Reds radiator and it's ready to be picked up. Also called Restrip about the'33's fuel tank. The boss there was pretty sure it was ready but, without his right hand man who was off sick, couldn't find it! The boss is going to call Wade back once he does locate it. And seeing Hills Radiator and Redistrip are in close proximity it makes good sense to pick them up in one trip rather than two.

Also had a call from Chris, Starliner, who was at the the Burwood Spring Festival yesterday. He's taking me up on my offer to see if I can find some Packard parts for him while I'm at Hershey next month, in this case hubcaps for his '48 Woodie. Chris is going to call into the workshop on Wednesday with a sample, measurements and pic's so I know what I'm looking for, it helps! Believe they are the dog dish type and not the full wheel covers.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.81 KB)
226_5056b56be685d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.98 KB)
226_5056b58067add.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.91 KB)
226_5056b59044493.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.69 KB)
226_5056b5a0c904f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.97 KB)
226_5056b5b571193.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.75 KB)
226_5056b62ca02fd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/17 0:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 18th September 2012

Not Wade's Workshop today but Mal's Garage! In preparation for the arrival of Noel's '41 160 Club Coupe chassis had to clear the build up of "stuff" so it'll fit! The garage itself is a tandem but has another large room out back which could be used as a triple if the dividing wall were knocked out.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.01 KB)
226_5058117e5f6f8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.10 KB)
226_50581197a3e83.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.80 KB)
226_505811bd8f703.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/18 1:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Finally!! A garage that looks like mine.

Don't know what I'd do in one of those organized pristine garages with clean workbenches where you could actually see and find something you laid down the first time you went back and looked for it. Now I won't feel so bad and worry about getting it cleaned it up before you come visiting next month.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 8:27
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard,

Hey, who are you calling "Pristine"? Watch it fella!

Seriously, I was fortunate when I bought the house. The garage is only a 20'x20' suburban type, but it does not have any appliances or equipment in it. I have full use of the space.

The house came with a large storage shed in the backyard. This is where all the yard tools and 'overflow' go. Periodically, I need to go into the shed and do what Mal did to his garage. I do this when I can no longer get past the door. We all have to have our "McGee's Closet", mine is the shed.

Others may want to share photos of their garages too. Could be an interesting thread. Let's see'um.

Take care,

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (40.42 KB)
565_5058a5bbc2e4a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/18 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 19th September 2012

Before leaving home to head to the workshop Had a call this morning from Wade. Tony from Quikfit Mufflers at Gladesville had called Wade because Noel's '41 160 chassis was ready to be picked up. Wade had taken the chassis over yesterday and Tony had finished massaging the exhaust to fit including shortening some pieces and rebending others as well as fitting the exhaust pipe hangers. Wade needed to know if I'd be in soon, but I wouldn't. So Wade took off and picked up the chassis, which was aboard the shops car trailer, and returned with it to the workshop. In the meantime, after my arrival at the workshop, discovered that yesterday Noel had brought in his "K" steering wheel and that the steering column outer case and gear linkage had been disassembled with some parts cleaned while others hadn't been. But Wade's arrival with the chassis prompted some manual labour in order to get it off the trailer and back into the workshop, where it once again resides.

Shortly after the chassis was back inside Chris, Starliner, arrived. Since my offer 3 days ago, to look for '48 Packard hubcaps for him while I'm at Hershey, the shopping list together with accompanying photos complete with dimensions, has grown to also include Studebaker hubcaps and various Packard body trim pieces.
Phew, looks like many a metal detector will be set off on the trip home! No problems though, it's all for a good cause! Shortly after Chris's departure Noel arrived, not with a shopping list, but with parts for his '41 including the long awaited rubbers for the radiator collar/mudguard(fender) bracket stays and the original "T" steering wheel from his '41. And seeing Noel was there the chassis was brought to life for the first time. Slow to start, took a number of attempts before it fired. First running with a lot of hydraulic lifter clatter but once they "pumped up" settled down to a nice even tone. Then mild panic, fuel was flooding from the carburettor! Shut down, it would have been anyway because there is no water in the system yet, and mopped up. The carb may be taken back to the rebuilder, Tim of Carburettor Service Company, for diagnosis and adjustment. Needless to say Noel was pleased, as was Wade, that it runs again! Also discussed the contingency plans Noel has for storing the chassis while he's at Hershey. Wade has some doubt about getting it into my garage which is up a sloping driveway. Whatever happens, Wade will have workshop space for at least a month!

Then, after Noel's departure, I started cleaning the rest of the steering column parts. While I did that Wade took off to ABC Bearings and procured a seal to replace the one from MAX that did not fit. On Wade's return the steering box was reassembled and refitted to the chassis. Speaking of steering, yesterday Wade had also assembled the cross link to the pitman arm, so the chassis is getting closer to rolling AND steering besides running.

Left things there for the day with Wade taking an early mark to prepare for an early, very early, morning departure tomorrow for the Historical Radio Society of Australia 30th Anniversary Radiofest. Besides Packards, vintage radios being Wade's other passion.

Other matters of note:

1) Wade heard from Redistrip, they'd found the '33's fuel tank but wanted to give it more time. Apparently they are pleased with it's exterior but not so with the interior. Suits Wade, because in conjunction with his HRSA trip a few other matters require his attention early next week. Accordingly Wade wont be back in the workshop till next Wednesday.
2) Also heard from Dave the engine builder at Tamworth. Big Red's engine is progressing well with the short block assembly complete. Now working on the intake and exhaust manifolds. So at some stage next week Wade will probably go to Tamworth to pick up the finished product.
3) Wade set me a homework task for while he's away. Identifying characteristics of some of the parts of the chassis's steering column. But, how am I to do that? By observing the features in question on my '41 and reporting back. Hope I get a pass mark.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.73 KB)
226_505997a64fc3b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.16 KB)
226_505997c583921.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.47 KB)
226_505997d5643d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.10 KB)
226_505997e1b0875.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.57 KB)
226_505997f517691.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.93 KB)
226_505998077c6bd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.05 KB)
226_50599818dff5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.75 KB)
226_5059982919a25.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.38 KB)
226_5059983a80984.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.78 KB)
226_5059984977b60.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.28 KB)
226_505998578f497.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.39 KB)
226_50599869238da.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.52 KB)
226_5059987c45aed.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (27.80 KB)
226_505998a132080.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.30 KB)
226_505998b20508c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.66 KB)
226_505998c3d4f9c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.14 KB)
226_505998ce002fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.40 KB)
226_505998dbe8047.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.98 KB)
226_505998e8b03c3.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/19 5:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 28th September 2012

Finally, after waiting for the stars to align, it was back to the workshop today. But only in a drop-in capacity as I went and donated blood plasma first, with Noel's emailed words accompanying me of "Please be sure to give your blood to the Red Cross and not to the Packard this time!" And no, it wasn't really necessary for the stars to align, just necessary for Wade's schedule to afford him the opportunity to return to the workshop. On the way in this morning Wade had picked up a 1 litre can of paint, along with two spray cans of the same, matched to the paint left on Noel's "K" steering wheel hub. Wade had also heard from Dave at Tamworth, the engine builder. Big Red's heart is ready to return and so Wade is heading to Tamworth next Wednesday to pick it up.

Then the real reason for my drop-in arrived, Noel. Noel had some ideas for the movement of the chassis to my garage or, as an option, his garage with Fleurette instead coming to my garage. However Wade was adamant! That is, adamant, that it was OK for the chassis to remain in the workshop while Noel was away! Once Big Red's engine returns Wade is devoting his full attention to getting her back up and running! Once Big Red is operating again she can go home to a nice snug garage and Noel's chassis can go on the hoist. Space will then be freed up for the other Packards almost lining up at the door waiting to get in! Noel's mate Tony also came in with Noel anxious for wanting Tony to enjoy and see the 356 running. Reason being Tony has devoted a lot of time and effort for Noel in doing the bodywork and any number of other things. But prior to Noel's arrival there was a test fireup, not successful because of a lot of flooding from the leaking carb. But oil pressure was noted as good on being cranked over. So when Tony arrived another attempt. Did start, using start you b@$#@rd, but wouldn't keep running because of the serious flooding. So the carb was removed to be dropped into Tim at Carburettor Service Company, the carb rebuilder, by Noel on his way home.

Another matter that had come up was The Fossils bonnet(hood). Steve had straightened and painted one side of the top panels and then obtained the other side from Wade. Unfortunately or fortunately, depends on whether you're a glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full type, Steve found a bubble in the paint of the other top panel! Now that needs to be stripped back and repainted. In light of that Steve gave The Fossil a close going over and can't find any further bubbling or other faults evident. Phew!

Next Tuesday, it being a public holiday here on the Monday, I had planned to be at the workshop but it's not going to be. I'd forgotten that my wife and I had been drafted for baby sitting duties of our granddaughters, our daughter is expecting with the birth of a grandson imminent. On Tuesday Wade is going to pick up Big Red's radiator as well as the cleaned out fuel tank for the '33. However I will try and make it into the workshop at some stage on Tuesday, babysitting permitting. For one thing I need to collect The Fossils wiper motors which are accompanying me to Hershey and deposit them with Ficken Wiper Service for rebuild. If not the Tuesday I'll definitely be there at some stage on Wednesday, while Wade is at Tamworth, and can pick them up then. And Thursday, that's departure day for Hershey, so my focus will be elsewhere. Maybe while I'm away Wade could make a brief post here now and then? Wade? Photos even? Anything?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.95 KB)
226_50655900851cb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/28 3:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 12th October 2012 - US time in Hershey Pennsylvania.

Received an email from Wade saying in part "...As far as Big Red goes, the engine has been cleaned and I finished painting all the parts today. Will now start to finish the assembly. The engine looks great..."

Good to see life in the workshop goes on!

Posted on: 2012/10/12 7:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 122 123 124 (125) 126 127 128 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved