Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 127 128 129 (130) 131 132 133 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, what an attractive front end on the 120 without the bumper, splash shield, and other stuff. The car would look great without all this stuff and the running boards. Now is your chance to "CUSTOMIZE"! I know this is not in your plans and you are striving for a stock looking coupe. Looking forward to more posts on your project.

(o{}o)

P.S. There was a running board delete option on the '41s. It must have needed a panel to cover the gap left by the removal of the running board. The cars with this option seemed to me to be more attractive and enhanced their overall styling. Does anyone out there have a '41 with this option? It would be nice to see a recent photo.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 13:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 17th December 2012

Not just a pitstop today, but not much more than that. Gave blood plasma earlier in the morning then at the workshop before Midday. Not much happening there with the front brake shoes for Fleurette sent out for relining through Brookers Brake Service because the right front linings were absolutely saturated with grease and beyond trying to save. But there could be a fly in the ointment with the re-liners Brookers use breaking for Christmas on Wednesday. If the re-lining isn't done by then Fleurette will be hanging around until the new year. Wade had also removed Fleurette's right rear axle because the inner axle seal is allowing diff oil to escape. Fortunately it hadn't leaked onto the linings, just running down and out the "overflow" hole.

My time at the workshop was spent cleaning up nuts and bolts for the Coupe in preparation for painting/repainting them. They'll be used once Col has finished his body and paintwork repairs. Need to source a couple of nuts for the bumper iron bolts, instead of the loose ones mentioned in my previous post, there were none in stock! Also another bolt instead of one of the front splash shield bolts, the one to be replaced is Whitworth and will be replaced with an SAE bolt. Will source the nuts and bolt from Lee Bros on Wednesday, together with a 10/32 wing nut for The Fossils air cleaner.

As I was leaving Wade took a call from John, Appin, Juniors Dad. Junior is back on the road following his dummy spit last month on the road to Bathurst when he blew a head gasket. Only problem, there are now some O/D issues which may be solveable with a new O/D cable. Also borrowed a Restoration Specialties catalogue from Wade to find the fasteners I need for the Coupes mudguard(fender) trims and the clips for the bonnet(hood) catch and OneTwenty emblem.

Quote:

JW wrote:Mal, what an attractive front end on the 120 without the bumper, splash shield, and other stuff. The car would look great without all this stuff and the running boards. Now is your chance to "CUSTOMIZE"!...

P.S. There was a running board delete option on the '41s. It must have needed a panel to cover the gap left by the removal of the running board. The cars with this option seemed to me to be more attractive and enhanced their overall styling. Does anyone out there have a '41 with this option? It would be nice to see a recent photo.
John,

The same thought occurred to me when I was taking pic's of the front of the car. Given my background I briefly considered it but NO! And after all, although I'm not masochistic, I'd miss barking my shins on the bumper ends! And here's a pic of a '41 Coupe with the running board delete option. This Coupe came to Australia some years ago and was converted to RHD using a Holden(the local GM brand) steering box. When I heard that I was on the phone to the owner seeing if he still had the LHD Packard box, I need one. But no, the conversion was done by the previous owner before the current owner bought the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.77 KB)
226_50ce95544581e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.42 KB)
226_50ce956b69de5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.54 KB)
226_50ce957fd2ce9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.46 KB)
226_50ce95975359a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.00 KB)
226_50ce95a91063c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.08 KB)
226_50ce95bd0bf28.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (61.79 KB)
226_50ce95cb77c20.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/12/16 22:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
There is one running board delete on EBAY now.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 23:34
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
This one.

Or this one, but I think the delete option in this instance was rust induced!

Posted on: 2012/12/16 23:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 18th December 2012

What started out potentially as only 1/2 a day at the workshop, then looked like becoming no workshop time finally turned out to be a full day there! Seems like a long time ago, actually it was only about a fortnight I spent the day there, but there can never be too much Packard workshop time. On arrival found Wade inside Fleurette attending to some matters listed by Noel for rectification, these being the blinkers not working as well as the underdash switch for the backup light and electric fuel pump swinging in the breeze. Wade was taking the glovebox liner out to access the fuses near the headlight switch and sure enough a fuse was blown. Fuse replaced, blinkers worked and glovebox liner and contents were put back in place. Turned then to the switch which is underdash on right side of steering column remembering this is a RHD Packard. Wade had previously fitted the switch for Noel and it had worked loose so this was a warranty repair! Because the leading edge of underdash is double skinned getting screws to take and hold can be a problem so this time screws and nuts were used, successfully too. But in tightening up a couple of wires Wade accidentally shorted one out. Result, another blown fuse! So glovebox and contents out and again another new fuse inserted. Must say that the time to do this improved substantially from that taken to replace the first fuse. However the backup light wasn't working so it itself was investigated. Needed another O ring around the lens to provide more "crush" when the bezel was installed because it was only earthing intermittently. I think that's what it was, when it comes to the electrical side of things I'm lost.

Then came a visit from Snapey, Matt had called in to pick up the old blasting cabinet Wade had bequeathed him. Also had a visit from Wayne, wayne400.

With no further work able to be carried out on Fleurette turned to, of all things, The Fossil! Wade has been doing a few things over the past few days, mounting the air cleaner, hooking up the throttle linkage, installing the accelerator pedal and tackling fitting of the toe board. Before going further I'll mention that the accelerator pedal went "missing" a while back. Couldn't be found anywhere. I even emailed a number of guys overseas who we'd sent '34 parts to in case it ended up with one of them. It didn't, because Wade found it where he put it. As always, of course, it was in a good safe place. Yesterday Wade was trying to establish sufficient clearance between the clutch pedal and the toe board but without success. Had shimmed the bracket the pedals mount on as well as relieving the side of the slot in the toe board. So today, after disconnecting the accelerator pedal, the toe board was removed again, and again, and again, and again, ad nauseum. Reason being for installation of another shim, removal of the shims, installation of different shims and installation of longer bolts because of the new shims. Once we'd shimmied things into place the toe board was again removed so that felt strips could be glued under each side edge and along the top edge against the firewall. Wade had tried to source the felt locally without success and ended up ordering a roll from Restoration Specialties. Did source the fabric spray-on adhesive locally. This was applied to both the toe board surfaces and the felt strips, allowed to become tacky then the felt was applied to the toe board edges. Also rolled around the felt around the side edges with any excess trimmed off.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.64 KB)
226_50d02675dd511.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.76 KB)
226_50d0268e1af9f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.31 KB)
226_50d026aa1a52b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.43 KB)
226_50d026b97e85e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.68 KB)
226_50d026d06bed4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.81 KB)
226_50d026e2c7e6e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.88 KB)
226_50d026fe0e9dd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/12/18 3:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 20th December 2012

This mornings pitstop at the workshop found Wade under Fleurette adjusting the front brakes. The relined shoes had arrived at Brookers Brakes yesterday morning so Wade was able to re-fit them to Fleurette. Had also driven it home last night to bed them in. But, coming in this morning, the pedal travel for engagement had lengthened considerably hence the adjustment required. Once adjusted Wade took Fleurette for a test run while I rode shotgun. Just missed Noel and Tony's arrival at the workshop as we disappeared into the distance as they swung into the driveway. On return Wade explained all that had happened and that Fleurette was now ready to return home. But before doing so there was a measuring event. Noel is concerned about his hubcaps. He lost one on the Bathurst run last month and fortunately it was retrieved by Peter Packard for him. He's had this problem for some time and it looks like the remedy of double sided tape between the cap and the wheel isn't entirely successful. Noel has a number of replacement clips but needed to determine their application. The measuring was of the clips on the '41 160 chassis, 34mm, and Fleurette, 44mm. I think the replacements are of the 34mm type.

Also had a call from Michael last night and his '54 Convertible's front suspension is now all systems go. Wade suggested because the rod end in question was of the ball and socket type to try cleaning it up and retightening it. Michael did and that eliminated the slop previously evident. Then off to Hunters suspension where work on the previously aborted front end alignment was completed. And yesterday Harvey had dropped in a left front suspension package from a '37 Super 8.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.61 KB)
226_50d42b1c34ad7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.53 KB)
226_50d42b2f5f19b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.46 KB)
226_50d42b450bd29.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (45.42 KB)
226_50d42b5fde0d5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/12/21 4:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know what type hubcap Noel has and it's later bulletins (SC 22 #2 and the one referenced at the end of that) but perhaps this deformed clip issue could also pertain to Noel's car. Also could the one about different shells where they look identical but are not the same depth apply to prewar cars?

Attach file:

jpg  (61.08 KB)
209_50d483d7b66ee.jpg 741X480 px

Posted on: 2012/12/21 10:44
Howard

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard. I alerted Noel to your post and he responded "...Thanks for that. Could be just what I need! I'll forward the info to Tony..."

Posted on: 2012/12/22 14:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 24th December 2012

Another pitstop at the workshop, and with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore, I submit the following:

Twas the day before Christmas, and at the workshop
Misty was there as always, alert for a chop.
Wade of course, John, Rick and Graham too,
Soon it would be time for some cheer beer.

The Packards were nestled, all snug in their places,
With visions of Cormorants and hexagons taking our fancies.
Discussed with Wade the suspension on the bench and apart
But it won't fit, being from a '38 LWB Super Eight!

The kingpin's too big, it's over an inch!
Because the LWB has to carry greater weight.
So to Harvey the suspension will return,
After Wade has put it together again.

Big Red still needs to be fixed,
Once things settle down and are more relaxed.
That will be when Christmas is over and all is quiet,
After all, tonight is the night!

When out in the carpark there arose such a clatter,
I sprang up to see what was the matter.
Away to the roller door I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

There was a tilt tray tow truck ready to load,
A neglected Packard going to a new abode.
Antoine's '33 Super Eight Sedan,
Off to Mt Druitt for its body restoration.

Then Mal sprang to his sleigh car, and gave a whistle,
And drove away like the down of a thistle.
But exclaimed, 'ere driving out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

PS - Click on the Non Sequitur cartoon for a bigger image.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.82 KB)
226_50d7a8fe15a9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.89 KB)
226_50d7aa117d7bc.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (40.06 KB)
226_50d7aa4d6fada.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.77 KB)
226_50d7aa7652c9c.jpg 862X280 px

jpg  (32.42 KB)
226_50d7aa8d8cbe0.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/12/23 20:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Received a communique from Noel today which said in part "...found the missing parts...". That cryptic reference followed my post on 12th December where I said "...Wade took a call from Noel while I was there and another part off his '41 can't be found, the grill surround! A little big to be easily mislaid, maybe there's a Packard black hole all these parts are disappearing into?..." Boy, do I have egg on my face! I would have sworn, on a stack of Kimes books mind you, that '41's have a grill surround, and I'm a man who own's one.

Noel also advised "... saw Tony and showed him Howard's input on the clips. Reply: "That's what I told you last Friday"!!...He will fix it in the new year after returning from Mudgee..."

Attach file:

jpg  (33.28 KB)
226_50db976230878.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/12/26 19:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 127 128 129 (130) 131 132 133 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved