Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Howdy there Guys!

The problems with those rear brakes continue... Last week when I attended a car show in Castroville, TX, which is a 13 mile drive, my rear brakes locked up. I made it all the way to the show entrance, handed over the $2 admittance fee, and then couldn't get the car to proceed forward. A couple of good Samaritans towed me to the back of the lot where I let the brakes cool down so I could back the adjustment screws off.

It seemed like it took a lot of turns to get the screws fully backed off. Once backed off I was able to drive home with no problems other than excessive stopping distance. Just when I thought I had rid myself of these problems, it happens again. What gives guys? I'm not sure if the adjusting screws are walking out, which doesn't seem possible. Or, the parking brake cables are getting caught in the steel sheaths. What should I do now?

Thanks,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2014/4/25 21:56
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I can guarantee your adjusters are not moving outwards by themselves. You can check your cables by yanking on them by hand to see if they move OK. Go for a drive and get this problem to repeat. Then slip under the car with a wrench and loosen a bleeder screw. I'll bet the brakes go off.

Oh yeah, just dawned on me: The pushrod for your master cylinder MUST be adjusted so that the piston comes all the way home. Otherwise the return path to the reservoir is blocked and any expansion in the system due to heat will build pressure in the lines. Since you have a booster you have two places to check: first that your pedal linkage allows the booster to come all the way home, and second that the pushrod between the booster and master cylinder is not adjusted too long and keeping the pistons in the master cylinder from coming all the way home. Good luck.

Posted on: 2014/4/26 6:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks Ross!

I'm starting to think you're right about the expansion issue. The first thing I'll do today is add a pull spring to the pedal so I know it's not resting on the master. If I'm still having issues then I'll double check the pushrod length.

Thanks again,

Posted on: 2014/4/26 11:55
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Here's a video I took from inside the car. Camera went flying at about 6:00, so no need to watch beyond that

Happy Mother's Day!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zVBYJC7lz9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVBYJC7lz9E&feature=youtu.be&t=3s

Posted on: 2014/5/11 10:51
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Garrett, glad to see you can drive the Packard. The brakes seem to be working, so good news. Have you seen Jerry Wright since Salado? He is nearby and has a Contour Packard. I imagine he would be more than willing to help you with your project, given he bought you a PAC membership. Nice guy, check him out. Like the sound system.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/12 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Like the sound system.

Haha, thank you very much it's pretty "state of the art".

The car is doing fairly well, but I've exhausted my temporary registration for her. So, I can no longer drive her out on the public streets till I get a title, and that has been quite the fiasco. I haven't seen Mr. Jerry Wright since Salado, but I do plan on contacting him soon.

Hope all is well John,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2014/5/12 12:54
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Garrett, you can register the Packard as a historical vehicle for about $35 for 5 years. There are restrictions as to how much you are allowed to drive it, but there are no vehicle inspections required. Say hello to Jerry and Olga for me.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/13 11:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Garrett:

Sorry I missed you at Salado. I should have been more specific about day and time to meet as well as location at the meet.

When the heat dies down, if ever, we are planning on an SA trip.

We would enjoy meeting you over lunch at some place in the city.

I will send you are dates for our trip to one of our favorite cities.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2014/8/8 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
That sounds like it would be nice Zougeride, hopefully we'll get a reprieve from this terrible heat soon.

As for me Packardinfo-ers, the summer has been different, and not in a bad way. There are certain things that I wish were going better, but then there are things that have gone great. Getting featured in an up-and-coming magazine and set decorators from Hawaii Five-O purchasing an item I made to use on their show have been a couple of the highlights thus far. Still not being able to drive my car "legally" due to the pains of getting a title, among other things, have been the low-lights. But, I have my health and a great support system so, I really can't complain too much :)

Hope all is well Packardinfo-ers!

Here is a link to the magazine story written up on me:http://www.whistlinwolf.com/someone-you-dont-see-everyday.html

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (85.11 KB)
3628_53e69c2006114.jpg 720X1080 px

Posted on: 2014/8/9 17:10
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Great article Garrett and great to learn more about you. Looked at your website, love the crank/camgear chain art!

Posted on: 2014/8/9 17:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved