Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 117

Todd W. White, humanpotatohybrid, Flybiker18, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 194 195 196 (197) 198 199 200 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
May I present Unobtainium. 1953/54 Packard rear quarter panel A/C intake vents (aka Scoops). I never seen one in person in all my years of Packarding, but here not thanks to a certain Xmas Elf, they sitting on my dinning room table. Need to be cleaned up, and painted before they are installed on the Packard.

I think they were a bribe to get me working on the car again. I think it may have worked! :)

Attach file:

jpg  (98.72 KB)
1_5682050772542.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2015/12/28 22:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. That is a rare find and your Xmas elf is a nice friend to have.

Are you going to make them functional or just decoration. Functional takes a hole in the fender for about a 1 1/2 - 2" duct which connects to a flapper valve inside a short metal duct going into the return air intake plenum for your unit -- one on each side.

The valves are controlled by knobs on the package shelf which are located between the return air inlets at the center openings. Packard AC had two returns and the grills looked like rear speaker grills with flocked wire cloth covering the opening. Yours is probably different but the principle is the same. The operating mechanism is similar to the windshield wiper switch with the cable working the flapper.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 23:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, the plan is for decoration only since I have a 55 Packard branded trunk mount unit that does not employ the fresh air intakes. I'm trying to see if I can workup a "base plate" for the vents that would allow them to be mounted to the car with HD trim mounting tape, avoiding the need to drill any holes in the car since they will be non-functional.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 23:39
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Decorative is definitely easier but I don't have as much faith in the tape as you do. I know its almost impossible to release thin streamlined items like trim and logos but I believe the scoops will create quite a disruption in the air flow and there will be a lot of force trying to lift them off as the air pushes against the underside.

Posted on: 2015/12/28 23:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Strong magnets could work.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 11:15
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Magnets for car shows, then they could be stored while driving. :)

Posted on: 2015/12/29 12:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Cool! I had always thought these were cast with a chrome grill but they appear to be stamped steel with a wire mesh grill. It would be great to somehow replicate a couple pairs before they are installed. I know I would want a couple pairs myself as I have two '54 Patricians.

On the controls, weren't they in a pod on top of the steering column? Oddly the parts book shows that a number of components were different between 1953 and 1954 but the scoops and their gaskets were the same.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 12:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On the controls, weren't they in a pod on top of the steering column?

Yes. But not really "on top" of the column but where the column shroud meets the dash panel.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, there are photo albums for both 1953 and 1954 factory A/C on my Packard / Imperial Page and I would love to borrow and replicate (or at least blueprint) the conponents or complete system in order to make an authentic-looking reproduction.

Posted on: 2015/12/29 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Wouldn't these be a natural for 3D printing?

Posted on: 2015/12/29 20:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 194 195 196 (197) 198 199 200 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved