Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard front brakes - 3 shoe Bendix
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Dose anyone sell new drag link springs ?

Posted on: 2015/12/15 3:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Hi David,
I checked the drag link spring. Looks like it was an emergency one from long ago. Too soft! I replaced it with a piece of the plated spring and the movement was gone. Out on the road for a test drive and there was no shudder or shimmy. Took all of 10 minutes to fix. Thanks to everyone who contributed to solving the problem. It was a real relief to drive the car with some renewed confidence.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.48 KB)
1675_566ff28f4db55.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/12/15 6:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Phil,

Great outcome, thanks for the update.

I have been looking at the spring I photographed and I think it is actually one of the pack of 4 at the rear of one of the front springs on the 633 ( your 336 will not have this) however the springs in the drag link and tie rod are very similar.

Your solution should be fine, I don't think the spring rate is critical, just needs to be able to take up all clearance with a enough preload to hold the ball tight However I will see if I have an old one to spare.

Posted on: 2015/12/15 21:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have been looking at the spring I photographed and I think it is actually one of the pack of 4 at the rear of one of the front springs

That would be the "trunnion block", lower left on this page from the 6th Series Mechanical Features brochure. But those springs are round in cross-section, not square.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.93 KB)
177_5670e82a2eb63.jpg 1280X930 px

Posted on: 2015/12/15 23:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Phil, I hope it's not too late for you, I just happened on the front end alignment specifications for the 326/333 in the March 1, 1936 Service Letter. That particular letter gives the front end alignment specifications from the 1st Series Eight thru the 120B. For your 333:

Camber: 1-1/2?
Caster: 1?
Toe In: 3/16"
King pin inclination: 8-1/2?

Posted on: 2015/12/25 10:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Hi Owen,
I have not done any more work on the alignment. The car is running reasonably well since the draglink spring was replaced although I did notice a bit of over steer so I will check the alignment against the figures you supplied. Thanks so much for them. I will keep you informed how the alignment progresses.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 9:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to hear it's running well. Should you need the tapered wedges for the spring perch to adjust the caster, last time I needed some I got them at a truck spring and alignment shop. They had various angles of wedges readily available and they only required a little trimming for length and width.

Posted on: 2015/12/27 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Phil,

Know you purchased the brake manual from Aussie eBay, but now there's something similar. See this listing.

Posted on: 2016/1/5 21:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Hi Mal,

It's the same book that I purchased. I had a look at the other items the seller had for sale. Huge collection of books and other car parts and advertising materials.

Phil

Posted on: 2016/1/7 20:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved