Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Conversion of 1941 hydraulic windows
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
What if you restored the hydraulic windows and exercised them every month or 2? How long do they have to sit around before they cause trouble?

Posted on: 2010/1/9 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It's been a long time since I tackled one of these. A big problem is that the concealed pressure solenoids have a tendency to stick and make the windows unreliable. I'll bet that is the reason for so many dealer conversions.

On the theoretical side, the pistons are huge and should have no problem making the windows go up and down given the pump is putting out decent pressure. That is a big IF.

However, if the pistons are leaking then who knows where to get natural rubber sealing rings. Fat chance of that.

The headaches are compounded for the Lebaron cars because I don't recall if manual regulators can bolt in like the production bodies.

From a safety stand point I would go the manual route because it is hazardous to be fooling around with a window while driving. That sort of thing brought a Boeing 747 down in the Everglades.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Why was the pilot fooling around with the windows on a 747?

Posted on: 2010/1/14 10:06
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe it was a 747, 727, 707, or whatever, but the crew got to screwing with a landing gear light and didn't notice that the descent rate had changed and they plunged into the swamp.

So imagine screwing with power windows and you don't notice that the car in front of you of has stopped.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Using a 12volt motorcycle battery for 12v electric window motors in a 6volt car works great. For the amount of use in a collector car, the battery should only require charging 3 or 4 times a season,.

Seems we've been on this topic awfully long, as to the choice of motors and regulators, why not just call someone who has successfully done it before. I suggest you call Dwight Heinmuller in MD, he converted a 1941 180 a few years ago. For a LeBaron sport brougham, call Kendall Gibbs up in RI who did a similar conversion on that model.

As to the crash in the Everglades, if I recall correctly it was a Lockheed L-1011 Tristar, but if you're interested the NTSB website can entertain you for hours with their accident reports. Probably not the best reading the night before a flight.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
As to the crash in the Everglades, if I recall correctly it was a Lockheed L-1011 Tristar, but if you're interested the NTSB website can entertain you for hours with their accident reports. Probably not the best reading the night before a flight.

You are correct sir. I prefer reading "Fear of Flying" by Erica Jong...

Posted on: 2010/1/14 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friend

It seems the easiest solution is to have an eight year old on premisis get in the car once a week to play with the windows and run the battery down.

Sounds like someone I used to know...whoops that was me!

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/1/14 23:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Okay whatever. If this is the extent of your interest in fixing these power windows then I have no more information to offer. As far as I'm concerned you're just green that you didn't come up with the idea first.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Okay whatever. If this is the extent of your interest in fixing these power windows then I have no more information to offer. As far as I'm concerned you're just green that you didn't come up with the idea first.

WOW. And people think I'M a Richard Noggin!

Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Tim -

Take it easy. Your information is welcome here, but surely you would expect some point-counterpoint in any discussion.

Of course, we have some light-hearted posts here, but I don't see anything pointed at you personally. In fact. some of those comments were self-depricating.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved