Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 176

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 222 223 224 (225) 226 227 228 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Isn't that what they pretty much use for suspension parts now?

It is but there is probably a difference in formulation for the kind of material used in that application vs the two part mix and cold cure product I am using. Maybe O_D or one the guys who is familiar with plastics and the like can add their two cents.

Posted on: 2017/2/11 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
You don't have to worry about UV in Illinois anyway... Suns hardly ever shining!

Posted on: 2017/2/11 13:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think one of the big differences is that our cars are no longer baking in the sun, heat and cold as they were the last 50+ years when they were just daily drivers or were parked for extended time outside. My A/C rings came from a Texas car that sat outside in the heat for God knows how long. I doubt our cars now would get subjected to the same conditions.

Posted on: 2017/2/11 13:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, will be sending the Urethane duct outlet pieces tomorrow. Since you will be evaluating those and once opened, the remainder of the material needed to be used up fairly quickly I also made and will be sending a pair of outside gaskets. These were cast from the mold I made when you loaned one of the hard to come by outside scoops and from the old gasket that was on it rather than the new gasket. That NOS piece was closed up in spots so I didn't think the mold turned out as well in forming the channels the scoop fits into. The mold made with the old gasket had channels wide open. I know you have the NOS and won't be using the repros but would like to see how they fit the ducts and compare to the originals.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.69 KB)
209_58a3474e067b8.jpg 1280X1109 px

Posted on: 2017/2/14 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, I have an NOS pair in my Oregon shop. Is there anything I can check on them for you the next time I'm there?

Posted on: 2017/2/14 13:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds good Howard, I'll give them a look over. I look forward to seeing them. I'm headed to Calif tomorrow for work and the PI meet, but will be home on Sunday.

Posted on: 2017/2/14 13:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

Both your cast parts and the 3D printed Shapeways arrived on the same day. Your parts are a much better fit and look more correct. The Shapeways parts are completely rigid, no flex at all. As such, they won't fit over my clear tube that is slightly ovaled from age, position, and sun.

Here is a picture of your 60A one on my clear tube.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.52 KB)
1_58aafb24b1d7f.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/2/20 9:20
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At least they fit your tube so that is good. Wonder if a gentle treatment with a heat gun on the shapeways would soften them enough they could be teased into shape around the tube.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Great job Howard!

i'm curious to see how the Shapeways version turned out.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 10:09
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I really think they rings need to be rubber or similar. The description for the Shapeways material was "strong and flexible", but there is no flex at all, it is feels like it would break before it would. The Shapeways rings are hard, rigid plastic. So, I think it would put a lot of stress on the glass tubes, that already brittle from the sun/UV.

Also, the rubber being flexible, snugs over the clear tubes holding them, the Shapeways ones, just don't have that property.

So, I think until Shapeways offers a more flexible material (rubber, vinyl, or soft plastic), it's a no go the 3D printed one. But, I do think it would work for other projects where hard plastic is acceptable.

Posted on: 2017/2/20 11:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 222 223 224 (225) 226 227 228 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved